Saturday, January 03, 2009

Chickpea Potato Curry

I was going to post a recipe for one of the many cookies/brownies/truffles that I made for our Chrismukkah party several weeks ago, but then I realized that it might be mean to taunt anyone who resolved to eat healthier with pictures of things they are trying to avoid. I'll still post things later, but to help everyone off in the New Year, here's something a bit healthier... but just as delicious (okay, fine, maybe not... but still pretty darn good).

Chickpea Potato Curry
IMG_2795wtmk
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
  • 6 baby Yukon Gold potatoes (approx. 12 ounces), quartered
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin (ground)
  • 1 tsp coriander (ground)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • rice (we use brown), cooked accordingly
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, combine the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, potatoes, onion, butter, ginger, salt, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Stir to mix and nestle the potatoes into the liquid.
  2. Set the pot, uncovered, over medium heat. Simmer vigorously for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and most of the broth has evaporated.
  3. Serve in bowls over rice.
Note: Since Husband prefers meat with his meals, I seared some chicken in a bit of the excess broth and spice mixture from the curry.

5 comments:

  1. This look so. stinkin'. YUMMY! Almso all fo the flavors I like. Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum, yum. I hadn't considered using chickpeas so prominently in a curry, but I'll definitely try this. Hmm, is that a can of chickpeas I spy in my pantry? :) Thanks as always for food-blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you took everyone's potential resolutions into account with this recipe. You are such a responsible food blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should all definitely give it a shot -- it's so easy (seriously, chop some vegetables, dump everything in, stir a few times, and walk away for a half hour), and it makes a lot, so there are leftovers (which I love, because then I can bring them for lunch the next few days).

    ReplyDelete