I tried to think of some witty introduction, but I really can’t think of way to put a humorous twist on this. My life has turned into an episode of Law & Order, but just the beginning portion.. you know, where they introduce what is going to happen by showing a few unimportant people chatting who then stumble upon a dead body and the woman screams, and the police come, and you never see or think about those people again. My roommate and I are like those people, except that we are in the midst of our own disaster as a result.
Our little episode of Law & Order starts out as such: the scene is set inside an apartment, a clock glows
If this were a real episode of Law & Order, this is where we would cut to the catchy theme song and the views of
No, I didn’t know the person living above our apartment who was apparently incredibly drunk and no, this most certainly isn't an April Fool's joke although my father thought it was when I called him with the news. All I know is that my planned day of finishing up a paper for my cancer prevention course has suddenly become a bit more stressful than originally anticipated. The carpet people have already come and ripped up the edges of the carpet and inserted massive dryers underneath, but right now the carpet is the least of my concern. The water was pouring out of the light fixtures in the kitchen and the bathroom, which is where the main carpet damage was done. The living room seems pretty unharmed, as is my roommate's room. My room, however, is a slightly different story. Well over half the ceiling of the room and part of the ceiling of my walk-in closet is completely water damaged, and the water is spreading across rapidly, so I am sure by now the entire ceiling is ruined. Instead of standard apartment painted white, it’s turning almost a rust color, and literally dripping big rust-colored water droplets onto the beige carpeting. Because it is dripping water, it’s starting to sag. I’ve moved out a bookshelf, my electronics, and a dresser, but my bed, desk, and a second dresser are still being held hostage in the room, unable to be moved out due to the positioning of the giant carpet-drying fans. I’ll be camping out at my boyfriend’s apartment for the night, but regardless of whether or not the ceiling collapses in my room, it will have to be completely ripped out and replaced, which will take quite a lot of work, and thus I will be homeless for quite some time and am not quite sure where I will be able to stay during the week. I’ll go back tomorrow evening to survey the damage, and if the ceiling has not yet collapsed, try to move anything else out of my room and into our living room, which is now cluttered with my belongings. I’m pretty nervous about the return however, and the potential damage to everything I own, which of course is not covered by the apartment.
So, um, if you happen to know anyone with a spare couch/room in the D.C. area who is willing to take in a quiet, neat, friendly, and unexpectedly homeless graduate student for a few weeks, or um, would like to make any furniture donations if mine is crushed under a collapsed ceiling and bathtub because I can’t afford to buy more off of my meager stipend, err, um, let me know. Oh, and if you’d like to write my pharmacology and/or epidemiology papers that would be swell, because right now I’m finding myself just a bit unable to focus on things other than my pending homelessness, forcing me to succumb to every graduate student’s worst nightmare – literally moving into the lab.
just passing through the blogs randomnly and read your last 2- You lead quite an interesting life... Don't know if that is good or not but you are a good story teller too. If you wanna see how bored people feel.. with little or no real problems - feel free to read my blog.
ReplyDeletelola:
http://houseoftheovereducated.blogspot.com/
Whoa - harsh.
ReplyDeletemay i humbly suggest you
1. contact your university's residence, they can probably set you up in a hurry
2. put your stuff into storage, because if they don't get flooded, they will still get mouldy, and
3. buy renters insurance!!!
you need to get out of there asap.
Linked from ScienceWoman. Being a grad student is bad enough without all this other stuff! I wish I had something else to say, but I'll just offer my sympathy. I definitely don't know enough to write your papers for you.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love that you picked EtBr as your blog address.
I also linked over from Sciencewoman. Wow, I don't know what to say. I think the best thoughts are that these kinds of times put perspective in our lives. All those papers just don't seem near as important as the other things going on, and for good reason. If things get bad, you should ask your prof/advisor for an extension. I had to do something similar in the past, and they are usually really understanding. And the suggestion about calling student housing was spot-on. They can help quickly in a pinch (although you might end up living between the football team and an undergrad, at least its housing).
ReplyDeleteSo what happened? With the neurologist and the apartment?! I'm completely curious (and a bit worried) now. I hope you're doing well - living in a lovely new apartment and remembering to put on pants.
ReplyDeleteI still need to catch up on your archives but I also want an update. Please? :) I really do hope life is better for you this week.
Geez...what a stress. I believe everything is fixed right now. Have a blessed day.
ReplyDelete