Contrary to popular belief, I haven’t actually been locked in the -80 freezer, swallowed by the giant centrifuge, or actually died over the past month and a half (it just feels like it). It’s just that I’ve been forced to take a brief hiatus from my life… I expect that we will be reunited in roughly
I’m not at all unhappy, surprisingly. Sometimes I worry that I will look back and regret the countless invitations to do things with friends which I have had to turn down, all the Friday nights I was trapped in lab until after 9pm, the realization that literally all I do is do benchwork in the lab, read papers at home in the evenings, and manage a few hours of sleep. But I like my lab, and even though 90% of my projects are failing miserably at the moment, I am content with the research and excited for new projects which will be waiting for me upon my return from my pharmacology training at NIH. I really like the people in the lab – we all get along very well and it’s generally a young lab so most people are only a few years older than me. While we are all diligent enough to make sure our experiments are completed in a timely fashion, it’s also the kind of lab where individuals will conjugate around the sink while washing western blots and chat and we all do seem to get along together very well. I will admit to being a tad disgruntled by the fact that I am the only graduate student my year stuck working these dreadful hours – the other students seem to stroll in at 10am and leave by 4pm, Monday-Friday only. I’m usually here between 7:30 and 8:00am on weekdays, never get out before 6:30 (there are times I am stuck here until well after 9), and weekends are just an extension of my weekdays – I’ve never put in less than 8 full hours on any given Saturday or Sunday. I don’t mean to complain, but it just gets frustrating hearing other graduate students discuss their relaxing weekends at home, when I’m putting in 9 hours in the lab on Saturday and 10 hours on Sunday. But… it’s only another five or so years of this, right? And maybe at some point during the next five years things will start to work, at least enough that I can maybe take one day off per week, or at least only work half-days on the weekends, which would be fine.
Considering it has been a month and a half, I feel like there should be something of interest going on in my life but really – there isn’t. In that month and a half I have taken off exactly three days from the lab, over Memorial Day weekend, to go visit my grandfather in the hospital. The lab finally moved down the hallway into our new space, which is at least three times the size of our old lab, and it is amazing how we seemed to have already filled the space to capacity. I finally have my OWN BENCH and my OWN DESK and I feel like a real graduate student with a home in the lab (and quite the home it is, considering I spent significantly more time here than I do in my own apartment – perhaps I should consider asking if I can move in permanently to save on the cost of rent). In two weeks, I’m heading off to the National Cancer Center for some molecular pharmacology training so I’m sure there will be a few new, fun stories to share… but don’t worry, I’m still expected to come into my thesis lab on the weekend to keep on working, so there is still a good chance that I will have some humorous encounter with the dangerous laboratory equipment here – provided I can even find it now that it has been moved into the new lab.
thanks for stopping by my blog! it's nice to see other people do exist outside of my lab. lol
ReplyDeleteRemember that grad school is not a sprint but a marathon. You have to push hard but you also have to pace yourself. Sometimes forcing yourself to limit the number of hours you are in lab gets you to organize your day in lab better. You would be amazed on how many hours you can gain for your non-lab life without a reducing your productivity. And days when nothing is working, the best thing is to go home and take your mind off lab & chill. Come in the next morning with a new perspective.
ReplyDelete: )
ReplyDeleteHi Julie,
ReplyDeleteI second kstrna. I'm a former workaholic lawyer, and I've seen that when you don't take time out, you slow down. I'm much more productive when I spend less time at work.
That said, my sister works in a lab and I know that her petrie dishes etc need checking at weekends sometime so the cells keep on growing (you can tell I'm not a scientist myself - prefer the theatre) So maybe the ideal balance isn't possible in your field.
Interesting that you say others don't spend nearly as much time at the lab as you. Suggests you may be overdoing it. It's easy to get really close to something and lose perspective. Looks like you've had it rough with your apartment lately too.
Also - one of the interesting things is that creative leaps in understanding generally come not from "working harder", but from tangential time out.
So, it's quite possible that you could be running round a lacrosse field, staring at a painting, or drinking at the pub, and a scientific theory or solution pops into your head! Julia Cameron writes on creativity in "The Artist's Way" that Steven Spielberg gets his best ideas driving.
i've been to the pub where Crick and Watson were regulars during the time they "discovered" DNA. My null hypothesis therefore is that you are more likely to cure cancer by taking time out to reboot your brain and go to the movies/art gallery/ see friends than spending more time in the lab!
Hope you can take some time out rather than burn out.
Best wishes
Rachel
Wow, the more of these I read, the scarier grad school seems. Its such a catch 22. I really enjoy life and my free time and all that, but I know I can't keep it up unless I have a PhD. To get the PhD, I have to give up my easy life. Crap! Why can't it be a fair 40 or 50 hours a week. I could deal with that!
ReplyDelete