My day-before-the-start-of-comprehensive exams breakdown pattern:
Denial: Comprehensive exams? What comprehensive exams? I still have a long time to study! January 11th/12th isn't for weeks! Plenty of time to study.
Anger: SCREW YOU, UNIVERSITY, AND YOUR STUPID RIDICULOUS COMPREHENSIVE EXAMS WHICH ARE WAY HARDER THAN OTHER BIOMEDICAL PHD PROGRAMS HERE. AND MY FRIENDS AT OTHER SCHOOLS DON'T EVEN HAVE COMPREHENSIVE EXAMS - THEY JUST HAVE TO WRITE A GRANT PROPOSAL FOR QUALIFICATION AND THEY CAN GET HELP FROM OTHERS AND DON'T HAVE TO MEMORIZE ALL THESE STUPID PATHWAYS. I HATE THIS PROGRAM!.
Bargaining: Dear Biomedical Science Gods -- I promise that if you help me pass this exam, I will spend every weekend for the next 4 years in the laboratory pipetting my fingers to the bone in an attempt to make a new development in the field of oncology. Just please let me pass! I don't care if I do WELL, I just want to pass!
Depression: I can't believe I am going to fail out of this program. What will I ever do with myself? I am a failure. I don't even deserve to be here. Why did I ever think I was smart enough to go to graduate school?
Acceptance: I am fucked.
Tomorrow, I go in for part I of the beating. And then tomorrow evening I drag myself home, wash off the blood, and attempt to regroup to go back for the beating part II on Friday. Wish me luck, because I'm really going to need it.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm wishing you the very best of luck! (And I thought this post was wonderful.) It'll all be over soon - I hope it's not as painful as you're expecting.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
I hope part 1 went very well and that part II goes even better.
ReplyDelete