Sunday, November 18, 2007

I'm a Two-Bit Tramp!

My fiance's mother found this and passed it along as her "suggestion" for the wording on our wedding invitation as a joke (or so she claims). My fiance finds this absolutely hysterical, and has taken to calling me two-bit. I'm continuing to remind him that it is not too late for me to call off the wedding, sell the ring on ebay, and use the money to take a nice long vacation someplace tropical with my best friend (any location preference, Mark?).


Also, we recently received word that a private donor will be giving our lab $75,000 for the purchase of a new protein purification system. I think I may have shed a tear of joy upon hearing the news. What does it say about my life that just the mere news that we will be getting a new purification system sometime in the upcoming months ranks among the top three events of my year, immediately behind passing comprehensive exams and getting engaged?

9 comments:

  1. Putting aside any connotations of how your future mother-in-law may feel about you... that is pretty freakin' funny!

    Congrats on the new lab equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that says anything good about your future mother-in-law. If that's a joke it's in poor taste, unless she knows you very well indeed. Maybe it just means she isn't very tactful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled across your blog on the tubes...so yeah, don't even know you.

    This 'joke' however?? Made me cry.

    But that's just me.

    Congrats on the new purification system!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your future mil probably just isn't very sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Actually, I thought the thing might have been funny, and easier to take as a joke, if it had stopped sooner - it was a little "overbaked".

    I promise you, though, I won't be joking about anything like that with any of my future children-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you should ditch this guy and his mother and marry mark. is he straight??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from Young Female Scientist to see if I could shed any light on your cell culture problems. I'm stumped at that one but read down and figured I could be helpful here:

    I thought that joke was hilarious, and there's no reason to assume any ill-will behind it. (Maybe there is -- I have no idea -- but there's no reason to draw that conclusion simply from this.) The advice you're getting, like "This 'joke' however?? Made me cry." is a bit ... excessive.

    Your fiance is Jewish, right? That's a routine bit of Jewish humor that's maybe not translating cross-culturally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JSinger-
    Yes, my fiance is Jewish (though completely non-religious), as am I (religious).

    I don't particularly see any ill-will in it either, aside from the fact that my future mother-in-law does resent me because my fiance is going to have to "support" me (more like support our future family when we have children in the future) rather than support her in the life of luxury. I wasn't offended at all by the joke, but I am offended when she makes comments in my presence like "Because of Julie, I'm not going to get the Lexus I deserve."

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very funny. It's hilarious and I am glad you are taking it well for a two-bit...

    ReplyDelete