Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back to Bed

@*%#$@$%^&!!!!! basically sums up my morning thus far.

The past two days, I've been sidelined with a miserable migraine. The vomiting, loss-of-vision, bang-your-head-against-the-wall variety. Today, I finally dragged myself out of bed and into lab because I know my proteins have a very short shelf life, and I need to get an IP done before one or the other degraded. I figured maybe my reward would finally be getting something to work.

As I sit here, miserable, pounding headache, dizzy from the Midrin, not quite seeing straight, I was feeling comfortable with the labwork -- I've done IP's a million times to the point that I can do them in my sleep (quite literally -- I've been dreaming about them quite a bit lately). And since these proteins degrade within a 5-6 day span, this needed to be done. So, here I am.

But just now, I realize, that like a COMPLETE $*#@ing non-competent moron, rather than an ammonium sulfate precipitation, I apparently attempted to precipitate my proteins with ammonium PERSULFATE this morning.

I drag myself out of bed with a migraine to try and complete an experiment to please my PI, and wind up wasting all the protein I have. Screw this. I am never getting out of bed again.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. It sucks ever so much more to screw something up when you are already miserable doesn't it.

    Take care. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pain is like pulling an all-nighter to meet a deadline. Just like sleep deprivation, it leads first to diminishing returns, and then to negative returns - where you start screwing up stuff that worked in the first place.

    I hope it passes quickly and completely, and that you feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what's worse: precipitating your protein with the wrong salt OR spilling the protein AFTER YOU WEIGHED OUT THE AmSO4 CAREFULLY! I have done the latter ~many~ times... particularly after a 7 day purification method. Ugh. I'm glad I gave up the blood clotting biochemistry crap for analytical chemistry....(I think)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'd love to thank you for such a great quality forum!
    Just thought this would be a nice way to make my first post!

    Sincerely,
    Robin Toby
    if you're ever bored check out my site!
    [url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/dog-party-supplies.html]dog Party Supplies[/url].

    ReplyDelete