Today, my PI introduced me to someone as a first year graduate student.
"Wait," I asked. "Do you mean to tell me that the past several years have actually all just been a horrendous nightmare?"
Oh, right. He re-introduced me as a third year graduate student.
"Try again." When he still looked confused, I pointed out that since July, I have been a fourth year. (I'm in one of those evil programs that starts in July, thereby sucking away the last possible summer of freedom you have until retirement.)
He buried his face in his hands, amazed at how quickly time flies and astounded that he could possibly be so old. I obviously know the feeling, as I haven't been able to bring myself to update my blog header to reflect my new fourth year status (that, and working 120+ hour weeks doesn't leave a lot of free time).
But between you and me, I was kind of hoping it was all one big nightmare -- because it sure would be easier to back out and find a new career path if I was only a few months into this program, rather than four years!
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It sucks, heh, especially when your PI no longer remembers how long you've been his student? You could probably hint to him that you should be graduating soon :D
ReplyDelete