Saturday, December 06, 2008

Moroccan Vegetabes with Couscous

A few weeks ago, I had a thesis committee meeting. I was also, simultaneously, trying to crank out some changes to a purification protocol, so lab was demanding quite a bit of my time. Knowing this, Husband lovingly told me that he would just stay out of my hair and play playstation.... but first, could I wash a few loads of his clothes, pick up his clothes from the dry cleaner, and oh right, get him a few things from CVS because he is too lazy to run next door?

Times like these, it seems like I have no control over my life -- my life is either run by my PI or my husband -- and I feel the need to break free and rebel. I could protest and not do laundry, but sending Husband to the hospital stark naked doesn't seem like a good option for anyone involved, so I choose to rebel with my cooking. Ninety-five percent of the time, I cook based on what he likes, meaning I constantly pass over foods that I like (i.e., anything based with lots of vegetables). For example, Husband LOVES stromboli. I don't. But, because he loves it so much, I find myself rolling out dough twice a month and make him a huge stromboli and I eat a tiny bite-sized stromboli with a huge pile of steamed broccoli... and Husband is, of course, quite pleased with this arrangement. But when I'm totally stressed out, that's when I disregard his wants and needs in the kitchen, and make something that I'm craving. I thought this was fantastic... Husband picked out the chicken I cooked him on the side, choked down what was on his plate, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when order returned to the world as I once again returned to stromboli-making the following night.

Moroccan Vegetables with Couscous
IMG_2817wtmk
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • 2 russet potatoes, cut into large chunks (peel if you dislike potato skin)
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1" chunks
  • 2 cups chopped whole plum tomatoes with juices
  • 2 small zucchini, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
  • 1 cup couscous (I use whole wheat)
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
  2. Stir in the onion and cook until tender (approx. 3 minutes). Stir in spices and cook until aroma is released. Stir in carrots, potatoes, and squash, and toss to coat. Cook vegetables for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and water. If necessary, add enough water so that vegetables are submerged. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
  3. Stir in zucchini and continue to cook for 20 more minutes.
  4. Stir in the chickpeas and season with salt and pepper if desired.
  5. Serve hot over couscous.

4 comments:

  1. resisting comment about your marital bliss, because obviously I am in no position to cast stones.

    But where are the tomatoes on the ingredients list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the tomatoes, 2 cups chopped whole plum tomatoes is located underneath the butternut squash.

    Regarding the "martial bliss" Husband is not totally useless -- he does an excellent job of cleaning the kitchen after I cook. And he promises he will stop being such a useless, demanding lump after he is done with intern year and residency, i.e. when he is not working 80-100 hours/week. I fully expect my payback right around the time when we are having children -- as in, he will be Mr. Mom since he will have much more free time with his schedule as a radiologist than I will in the lab. And, in the meantime, when he grates on my nerves too much, I make squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a comment myself about Husband. Two things happened. (a) I read your comment above. (b) I expect that you knew this going into the marriage, and what I read doesn't bother you as much to live as it does me to read it. So, mouth is shut. Go back to happy married life, I am envious and hope to join you in that land someday :) Plus, that is a ton of hours per week!

    I love all the recipes you've been posting. One of these days I will have to learn to eat my veggies, and I will search through your archives!

    ReplyDelete