Thursday, January 01, 2009

Apologies

I apologize for my sudden disappearance... here I am, leading you on with promises of wedding updates and weekly recipes, and then I just stop posting altogether. Things have been a wee bit stressful around here, and after the past two weeks, I am quite content to leave 2008 in the past.

Two weeks ago, I received a phone call that my grandmother had a stroke. The bleed was too deep in the brain for the neurosurgeons to attempt anything, so we just had to wait and see what happened over time. In a follow up CT scan, an unexpected pattern of shading was found, and after two subsequent MRIs, it was discovered that the bleed was surrounding a 5cm tumor (for those who do not deal with tumors on a regular basis, 5cm in the brain is enormous -- larger than a golf ball). The neurologist was astounded that my grandmother has been able to function with no problems up to this point -- only because the tumor has been extremely slow growing (slow enough that it has started to calcify) and her brain has been able to adapt to the giant mass.

Needless to say, between dealing with doctors and visiting and not knowing what the outcome will be, the 5 days I spent out of the lab were far from relaxing and enjoyable. We returned to D.C. on Monday, and I've slowly been easing my way back into the lab -- I need a vacation after my vacation.

Here's to hoping everyone has a happy, and healthy, 2009. I, for one, am ringing in the new year in the lab, fighting with my proteins -- brand new year, same old shit.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she, you and your family are all coping as well as possible. My fingers are crossed that your proteins decide to cooperate with your plan in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are back(ish) with us again. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I pray that she's o.k. I'm glad you're sort of here again though-- Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh EB, I'm sorry to hear that. Just yesterday I was thinking about how I haven't seen a post from you in a while; I hope you are able to relax and have a great 2009. I'll be thinking of your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I hope you take a little time for yourself soon...everyone deserves it at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, how awful. I hope you can enjoy a lab to yourself before everyone else comes back from break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH EB I am so sorry to hear about your grandma! hugs and good wishes are being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I hope that your proteins cooperate and that lab is less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much to everyone for their well-wishes... it is really quite heartwarming. My grandmother is now on her 14th day in the hospital and the doctors have yet to come to a decision on what to do -- without surgery, she will have many seizures and continue to hallucinate, but they are not sure if she is physically capable of undergoing such serious surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during this difficult time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your grandmother. You mentioned that her brain tumor is slow growing--that's good. Hopefully it's something like a meningioma that can be zapped with a gamma-knife. I hope it all works out and I hope this all hasn't been too hard on you.

    ReplyDelete