Sunday, January 31, 2010

Asparagus and Walnut Pasta

One of the advantages to long-distance marriage is that I’ve been working my way through the massive list of recipe ideas which include ingredients I love, but Husband hates. This was an excellent candidate, as asparagus is my favorite vegetable and Husband refuses to eat it… and walnut are my favorite nuts, whie Husband is not a nut fan in general (unless they are in the form of peanut butter). Unfortunately for Husband, I think I liked this enough that it’s going to stay in the rotation even when we are living together again – good thing he knows how to make peanut butter and jelly!

Asparagus and Walnut Pasta

IMG_3282[5]wtmkIngredients:

  • 1 pound whole wheat rigatoni
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
  • 1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts, chopped

Directions:

  1. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain well.
  2. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus and cook for 1 minute. Add green onions and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes more.
  3. Add cooked pasta to skillet, then stir in cheese and walnuts.

6 comments:

  1. So it's a "two-fer!"

    Can I just say that your hubbie has some strange food dislikes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks delicious, and it doesn't take hours to prepare. asparagus is my favorite vegetable (do french fries count as a vegetable?).

    I will be making this in the next week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mhh, delicious, exactly. My husband doesn't like asparagus either, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. This looks great, and has my favorite qualities in a meal - quick, easy, and tasty. Looks like the one pound of pasta means it will feed an army, though. How many meals did/will you get out of that?

    Friends here have just had a fight because she is an adventurous eater who loves all kinds of vegetables, while he is a very picky eater and hasn't been willing to retry foods he disliked in childhood. It's a big issue for them - I hope it's not as big for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly,

    I typically don't like to post how much something serves, because everyone eats different amounts. My husband eats twice as much as I do, so am I generating it on his serving size, or my serving size? If I eat just this I'd eat more, but if I eat it with a salad and a side of broccoli, I'd eat less. In this instance, I ate it for lunch every day, and I eat lunch as my largest meal of the day rather than dinner. I think I packed up 6 containers for lunches out of it... but I don't know how that relates to serving sizes for other people.

    ReplyDelete