Friday, February 12, 2010

The Snowpocalypse

We disrupt our regularly scheduled blogging (hahaha… I wish I had the dedication to blog regularly) due to digging out from under three feet of snow.

IMG_4989

People, there’s a lot of snow out there.  And, aside from the minor detail that the melting snow freezes and turns to ice and I am certainly going to slip, fall, and break something next week walking to lab, I am LOVING it.  Of course, I say this as someone with no sidewalk to shovel and no car to dig out.

IMG_5098 

My all-time favorite childhood book was Joe and the Snow, and these past few days have really been like the book coming to life (hopefully, however, as the snow melts my condo building won’t float away…).

IMG_5026 

After a bout of food poisoning last week and three days out of the lab, a week off seemed to rejuvinate me and helped to get over my frustrations in the lab.  I also learned, however, that I can spend a full week trapped inside… and never once be bored.  I knitted.  I caught up on TV.  I read four books.  I organized and cleaned like crazy.   If this whole science thing doesn’t work out, I’m pretty sure I could cut it as a housewife without feeling cooped up.  What can I say – all those years of learning to entertain myself as an only child are paying off.

IMG_5132 The last time D.C. had a worthwhile snowstorm, I was a sophomore in college.  My roommate and I woke up early, walked down to the Ellipse and made snow angels in the pristine snow.  This time around, I didn’t have anyone to “play” with, but was thrilled to have several days to explore various areas of D.C. within walking distance, all of which were even more delightful than normal buried under three feet of snow. 

IMG_5158-1

More pictures of the snowiest winter in D.C. history can be found here.

5 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    I also think I would be a superb housewife. When I had the whole month of January off, I got so much done and was so relaxed...sigh...I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the photos, it looks wonderful! (from another person who doesn't have a sidewalk to shovel or a car to such)
    Also, I certainly wouldn't be bored at home for a week, or two, or 3...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look beautiful! I'm glad that you got the much-needed time away from the lab, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Photos! Everything looks so much better and prettier under a layer of fresh snow. If you want, you can send the snow over here (or to Vancouver!) and we'll make good use of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete