My grandfather just had a heart attack. Well, correction, my grandfather had a heart attack nearly 48 hours ago, but for reasons which I will refrain from ranting about now, no one bothered to tell me until 30 minutes ago. So really, I just learned that my grandfather had a heart attack.
My grandfather is 90 years old, and in better shape than most people I know my own age. He lives along a golf course and walks the entire length every day, collecting lost golf balls for my father. He uses the cardio equipment in his retirement home. He walks to the grocery store instead of driving. He makes very healthy food decisions, is not a smoker, and only drinks on occasion. He is in such great shape, the past two times he has had surgery, his recovery has taken less than a third of the time he was told it would take, to the shock and amazement of his surgeons. My grandfather has always been indestructible, and at his last physical, was told that he should easily live to be well over 100.
My grandfather just had a heart attack. He isn't a candidate for stents and the surgeon thinks he is too old to undergo bypass. He was essentially told today that his heart is a ticking time bomb -- they can't predict when, but he'll have a massive heart attack and drop dead.
And do you know what he said in response? That all he wants is to live one day longer than his wife, so she never has to be alone for a single day.
I think my mean old heart of coal just broke in two.
Such a sweet photo. Such a lovely statement.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather's heart attack. I hope you're able to see him soon for cuddles and reassurance and that he stays very well for a very long time.
I am sorry to hear about your grandfather Julie. I just thought I would let you know that a friend of our family had a bypass at 94. your grandfather sounds just like her, active and full of life. THe doctors were reluctant to do the procedure but she pushed and pushed for it. So it is possible.
ReplyDeleteTake care
OH gosh sweetie. Its so hard to realize we're losing the ones we love. Many many hugs.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you & your family & sending my prayers out into the universe for your grandfather. R'fuah shlema...
ReplyDeleteLots of love.
I'm so sorry. He sounds like an amazing man. You are in my thoughts (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteThat is the most wonderful picture.
ReplyDeleteIf you're already living a rich and healthy life, it doesn't do to place much stock in what doctors say. My hope is that he shocks and amazes them again. *hugs*
My condolences. And how special to have such sweet memories. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I'm thinking about you and your family.
ReplyDeletei am so incredibly sorry. but what an amazing man. sending many thoughts your way.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for your sweet words. If only we can all be lucky enough to live into our 90s, and marry someone who just wants to make sure he lives one day longer so we are never alone.
ReplyDeleteOh my. Your grandfather sounds wonderful. I hope he will get his wish (and you're right that this is a very lucky situation to be in). BTW, R's grandmother had a bypass surgery last year, at 97.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.
I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like such a sweet and amazing man. You and your family are in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about this. I hope he is feeling better and is enjoying all of his time with his wife and all of your family. It is really difficult to watch our family members grow older and fraile... I hope you get to spend some time with him soon.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your grandfather! I love the picture of you together - so sweet. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteThis is so delayed, but I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful relationship. Kind of like the Winnie the Pooh quote (“If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”), but much more selfless :)
ReplyDelete