Sunday, February 13, 2011

Huevos Rancheros

I have never really been much of a breakfast person. On the rare occasion that I find myself going out to brunch, I bypass all the breakfast options and head straight to lunch. I suspect this is because I will almost always choose savory over sweet (probably unexpected from someone who wants to open a bakery), and most breakfast foods have a hint of sweetness to them -- french toast, pancakes, waffles. I'm also not a huge fan of eggy-flavored things, so omelettes, fritattas, and even simple scrambled eggs don't particularly excite me. But one thing I do love? Mexican food! So, it should come as no surprise that I adore huevos rancheros (the egg is balanced out with a tortilla and salsa), and it is at the top of my list for making weekend breakfasts when Husband comes to visit.

IMG_7566wtmkHuevos Rancheros

Ingredients:

  • 1 can seasoned black beans
  • 1 cup salsa of choice
  • 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
  • 4 eggs
Directions:
  1. Heat black beans in a sauce pan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
  2. Spray frying pan with nonstick cooking spray. Heat one tortilla until golden brown, then flip. Sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the tortilla and let it melt.
  3. Break one egg over the melting cheese, using a spatula to help hold the egg yolk on top of the tortilla. Once the egg white starts to set, quickly flip the tortilla over. Cook 2-3 minutes on the opposite side, until yolk firms, and then flip back upright onto a plate.
  4. Repeat with remaining tortillas and eggs.
  5. Serve with salsa and black beans.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love huevos rancheros! I too adore baking but will choose savory for breakfast before sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!! I am so glad I found your blog :-) I'm following now and looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these were deelish. thx!

    ReplyDelete