Frequently I find myself starting at my reflection in the mirror, unable to recognize myself anymore. The grey streaks of hair, the dark circles under my eyes – who is this person? Surely, I am not this old yet. It’s not that I find 27 to be old by any stretch of the imagination, but rather, my shock comes because it feels like time hasn’t moved over the past six years. Certainly, I am still just 21, fresh and wide-eyed out of undergrad, because I have nothing of accomplishment to indicate that six years have slipped past.
Looking around me, I accept that my friends are moving up in the world. They have new jobs they love, new promotions and pay raises, and are starting to accumulate the signs of achievement – purchasing a new car, moving to a better apartment or making the down payment on a house, having children. Friends who, in the amount of time I’ve been going into the same lab everyday and trying to force my protein to cooperate in the exact same assays, have held a job for several years, left to go back to graduate school, and returned to a different job. Friends who are already on child number two. Friends who discuss monetary investments and where to purchase property and retirement funds. And yet, there is nothing to indicate my passage of time. On the contrary, it’s like I’m moving backwards. I started out graduate school with a roommate. A few years later, I found myself married with a husband… who shortly left for residency in Philadelphia. I spent a year living on my own, and now find myself back to square one, living with a roommate, informing the surgeon’s receptionist that no, even though most individuals bring a spouse to the consult, I will be attending alone because for all intents and purposes, I am single once again (note: this has nothing at all to do with my husband not wanting to be there, but rather, the inability for him to take time off to travel to DC).
Husband’s best friend’s wife mentioned over a cookie baking session this fall that that they have decided to “pull the goalie.” A recent conversation with said best friend implied, though did not directly state, that his wife is pregnant. If it is the case, I am thrilled – overjoyed even – that they will be expanding their family. When I look at them, I see so many milestones of achievement. He went to graduate school and earned his first masters’ in New York City, then returned back to Philly, worked for a few years, and is now back in school again for a second masters’ degree. She has been through two lucrative jobs and recently left to start her own business as a personal chef and is thriving while completely loving what she does (a novel concept). Now, they are working on expanding their family. Both their lives are marked with achievements, personal and professional, indicating their successes over the past several years.
I look in the mirror and see grey streaks of hair and dark circles, but what I cannot see are the accomplishments that I find in all my friends. Six years into graduate school and I have no first author papers, and none coming up in the pipeline. I cannot even make a remote guess as to when I will graduate, other than to assure you that it will not be this May. Because I have no first author papers, I have no job prospects for after graduation. Not residing in the same state as my husband, there is no point in even discussing things like purchasing property or having children. I wonder, at which fork in the road did I make the wrong decision, and wind up stuck in this time warp of unachievement? Because certainly, a time warp must be the only explanation – I cannot possibly really be 27 and yet still be stuck exactly where I was at 21.
I know it can seem like things are crazy, but there are those of us who admire you so! Just want you to remember that! :-)
ReplyDeleteThat's one of the problems with graduate school --- even though you're doing new things all the time, and making great progress, there is no marks of achievement along the way. There is only the end goal. But, you'll get there!
ReplyDeleteYou're not alone. Just wanted to let you know.
ReplyDeleteHey love, I have nothing wise to say, just wanted to send you a giant ((HUG)).
ReplyDeleteBeen there. Sending hugs
ReplyDeleteI quit my lab yesterday after almost 4 years of grad school. I know that doesn't make you feel any better, but it helps to know I'm not alone. My program director wants me to find a new lab, but I'm not sure I even want this PhD anymore. Can I ask what makes you want to stay and how you stay motivated? I'm just looking for some inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI identify with you 100%, and I'm even older than you are (by a couple of years)! It's hard to feel like you did the right thing when it appears that you've been held back by life. At least there are many like us who have done this, and we can be confident in our respective decisions together. I'm sure from the other side of the fence, our lives seem exciting and carefree.
ReplyDeleteSending hugs - life sucks sometimes. Many times. Sometimes all the time, for a while.
ReplyDeleteI'm getting the feeling that this feeling is (unfortunately) very common in grad students in their 5+ year. The thing, I'm only beginning to understand, is that earning a PhD is a very long, hard process that involves very few milestones along the way. I think we could all use more motivation and positivity throughout our PhD experience and at least through these blogs, we can share and expand that sense of motivation. Good luck and keep at it, because you have worked hard to earn it. And know that 27 is still very young :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Miss(ing)PhD-- this is unfortunately super common among grad students, in all years. I, too, feel this way, right now even. I want to say that you will figure out a path that can just get you to the finish line at this point, but I know very well that is not always feasible. Perhaps talking and working more with your advisor on this? Depending on what kind of person they are, that can be more or less difficult.
ReplyDeleteI know it sucks, but I think if you can somehow get to a point where you "see the light," you may feel a bit better.
Good luck!!!
Oh, Julie, this breaks my heart. I'm none of these things - not married, not in school, not a doctor - so it's difficult for me to imagine the place you're in - but I CAN relate to the "How did I get here? Is this my life?" feeling that comes with that sudden realization that you're not where you wanted to be.
ReplyDeleteThe question, I guess, is now what? Is there any way to speed up the process, to move closer to whatever it is you want? Finding those steps, even if they're the tiniest of baby steps, is the only key, I think, to moving forward & finding your happiness. <3
You're not alone. A 5th year with no papers, a very challenging system, and a boss who may not have funding for me after June...
ReplyDeleteURGH, I feel your pain and frustration. I have no words of wisdom, just hugs. lots and lots of hugs.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't in the exact same situation in grad school, in that I was single, but I wanted to grow up, start a family, etc. I'm now 33 years old, nearing the end of my postdoc, and just had my first child, and I still feel like I haven't started my life yet. This career is just like that - delaying the grown-up things in life while your friends move on "ahead" of you. Other than saying you're not alone, I'm not sure there's anything else that can make things easier right now. I'm sure it will get better. Until then, sending lots of (((((hugs))))) your way!
ReplyDeleteThat is so frustrating! I hope things get better soon! *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI can identify and it is so hard to read about others going through this. The hardest part for me was watching others get publications, even 2nd author, while I still had none.
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I were together for 8 years before we got married, because he wanted to wait until we could afford a wedding on our own, and that meant I had to graduate and get a job. I had two friends who were married when I started grad school and got divorced and remarried before I graduated! Along with multiple friends who met their spouses, married and had babies during that time period.
Things eventually did come together for me, I published papers and graduated, but there were entire years where I felt exactly as you do now.
3 years later, I've definitely made up for lost time (I did not do a postdoc). I got married, traveled extensively for work and bought a house. However, I still look back on my 20s as my lost years.
Hoping things get better for you soon!
hmm I feel I have lost a whole life because I didn't have chance to go for a PhD. Reading your blog makes me realize I should stop thinking about the past and start living.
ReplyDelete:( It took me a while to work my way through life and at 27 I'm working at an entry level position where everyone thinks I'm maybe 23 or 24. It's a bit weird, especially when they find out I'm married and their first question is not IF I have kids, but how many. As if being a mom would be the only reason to marry young (not that I did, I've only been married for 3 months, I just started my new job 6 weeks ago).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm babbling at you but I just wanted to let you know that I've got the "treading water" feeling too.
Awww I feel for you. Hang in there! I know it sucks right now but it WILL get better.
ReplyDeleteI know I feel the same way that you do on some things. I'll be 26 this year and I'm trying to figure out what I've been doing since I turned 21.
I think we both have stay positive. I'm trying to focus on the good things in my life. (Not my awful, terrible, horrible job.)
oh, you write it so well. That feeling is what I especially felt as a grad student... It felt a bit better after that PhD title since "at least I could see a clear thing that I had worked for".
ReplyDeleteThen I started my post doc, finished it, started a job and realised "I have nothing to show for the years after my PhD" (no hubby, no kids, no real estate). And compared to my same age peers/friends, they have lots more.
Problem is, afaik, that most acomplishments are not measurable on the outside. They just are. And as long as you are happy in the now, or in a shorter time, that's where you should be. [yeah, last three sentences are what i hope to acomplish the next year or so. I'm nowhere near that now. Just wondering when I got all the grey hair, the wrinkles and the age?!?]
Hang in there! It will be better and the influences of grad studies on the mood should never be neglected... it's tough.
Oh Julie. I'm so sorry. Been there, felt that. It's hard to know how much time, how much hard work you have already put into this, but still feel nowhere near the goal, the visible achievement (I think chall's point on this is very good). It will get better. I think there are always times when it feels like nothing is progressing, and better ones when things are moving, at least somewhat.
ReplyDeleteAnd even though I got married and finished my PhD, I see my friends having children and buying houses and feel sort of left behind. And I see junior group leaders in their 40s that finally have tenure and feel like now they can settle... and wonder if this really is the life I want.
Hang in there. I hope things will get better soon.
I know your feelings are real, but from my perspective, you are still so young, with so much time ahead of you ....
ReplyDeleteFrom your newly 30 friend, botox the crapola out of your face (its an investment), dye your hair, and write a book about your experiences. Seriously ... you are a great writer and you're funny and I think it would be a great idea. I hope that stuff starts working out in the lab for you ... and don't forget there are other people feeling very very very similar ... I mean, I never thought I would be a 30 year old single med student in a part of the country where turning 30 and being single is basically like writing yourself off to being single the rest of your life. Dude. Can it be happy hour in March yet? I need to buy you a drink!
ReplyDeleteI know it isn't much of a comfort but from what I've heard the average age to start as a PhD-student in Sweden is 27 so you are not that old in a global perspective :
ReplyDelete