Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Three Years

Three years ago, at roughly 9:00pm, I was doing this:

139_2105-fullwtmkThree years ago, at roughly 9:30pm, I was doing this:

205_2123-fullwtmkThree years ago, at roughly 10:30pm, I was doing this:

398_2161-fullwtmkThree years ago, at roughly midnight, I was doing this:

362_850-Shot_time_-fullwtmkTonight, at roughly 9:00pm, I was doing this:

photo-fullwtmkTonight, at roughly 9:30pm, I was doing this:

photo_2_-fullwtmkTonight, at roughly 10:30pm, I was doing this:

photo_4_-fullwtmkTonight, at roughly midnight, I am doing this:

photo_3_-fullwtmkMy anniversary date for the evening consists of a luciferase assay, a Western blot, and 12 Excel-sheets worth of qPCR data, which seems rather appropriate, considering that I typically feel more married to the lab than to my own husband.

After three years, I am more thankful than ever to have found a spouse who manages to put up with me. While I may not be high maintenance, high stress, or demanding, my chosen career is all three and more, and I cannot imagine it is pleasant to be married to me (and my experiments, we're a package deal) most of the time. So far, our marriage hasn't quite gone as anticipated (so much for that one year long distance plan), and I am eternally thankful for a husband that acknowledges how important science is to me and has never once pressured me to give it up, even if I appear to be taking the (very) long, (extremely) windy road through graduate school.

After all, what are a few years of living apart when we plan on growing into shriveled old octogenarians together?


8 comments:

  1. Random thoughts by Jane.

    Happy Anniversary to yall!
    I loved your hair.
    Science sucks.
    Science is way awesome and worth the suckiness,
    The top picture, the guy in the bottom right with the cheesy grin, he's cute.

    That is all.
    Back to your regularly scheduled normal comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy anniversary. you are a lucky lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I hope things get better from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your science give you a nice anniversary present such as good results or new insight? That seems appropriate for spending so much time with it on your anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy annerversary! Lovely pics and it seems to have been one great evening that three years ago.

    As for the "not what we planned for" - hang in there, and as you said "what's a few years in comparison of 60 years or so together?!" :) that said, I hope you can finish the graduate studies soon and get to live with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! You can do it, and long-distance isn't as horrible as some make it out to be or as romantic/devastating as Hollywood thinks. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Anniversary! I loved seeing the wedding pics again :) Hang in there on the science...

    ReplyDelete