On Sunday, I turned 28.
It marked the end to a very disappointing, frustrating year. I set several goals for myself for 27 -- publish a first author paper, defend my dissertation, take a weekend trip away somewhere with just Husband, sort out a few health problems -- and accomplished none of them. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
These were all very practical, obtainable goals, and my inability to complete even one of them really leaves me to write off 27 as a year of failure. It's certainly not for lack of trying, but I've never put so much effort into things and had absolutely no positive results. I'm used to working hard and reaping the rewards -- I was accepted to every college in which I was interested, was offered an interview for every graduate program to which I applied and was accepted to all except one, every lab I rotated with in graduate school wanted me to join. I've already had two investigators express interest in bringing me on as a post-doc (though of course, such offers are useless if I can't actually manage to graduate.) But this year disproved the notion that hard work equals results. I taught myself multiple new techniques and sought out the advice of collaborators to further my project to no avail. I completed the 8-month daily dosing animal study my boss said was required for my manuscript -- and now he has decided not to publish the results. Every weekend Husband had off, I was either tethered to the lab or we had family/friend obligations (we did get one fun weekend away in Austin, though it was specifically for purposes of visiting someone). We each scheduled off time and arranged to stay in his family's vacation home in South Carolina, but instead I had surgery that week, costing us enough to ensure it will be a very, very long time before we can afford to spend money on anything as frivolous as a vacation. I met with more new doctors this year than I have fingers, and yet the particular health problems I set out to resolve still remain mysteries.
On the other hand, my lack of satisfaction with my current life means that I have never been afraid of aging. I truly believe that the best is yet to come. I'm not going to make some silly declaration that next year can't possibly get any worse, because of course it can, but I think the general overall trend is that I am stuck in a ditch of suckiness, and at some point, I have to start climbing out. To me, the future doesn't mean wrinkles and grey hair (I already have lots of those, anyway) and becoming old and boring -- it means eventually living with my husband, possibly finding a career I enjoy, slowly paying off Husband's medical debt, and having both the time and financial freedom to travel.
As my birthday approached, I was inundated with the standard questions regarding how I felt about turning older. I answered each person with the same response -- that I think the best is yet to come, and I look forward to the future. With the exception of one person, everyone threw the answer back in my face.
"In 10 years, you'll long for the days of being 27 again!"
"What are you talking about? Everyone knows the 20s are the best years of your life!"
"You don't have kids yet! Getting older means having kids, and it's all downhill from there!"
"In 5 years, you'll realize how stupid you sound right now thinking the future will be better."
I chose not to share my unhappiness with individuals in my daily life because no one likes a downer, so I'm not sure if the responses would be different if they knew how truly discontent I am right now. Either way, I'm unsure why everybody feels the need to point out that things will only get worse. Just because they are unhappy with aging surely does not mean that 100% of the population feels the same way and that it MUST be the same for me.
So, in light of all the negativity regarding aging that surrounds me, I am setting only one goal for my 28th year of life: to avoid falling into the anti-aging trap by reminding myself every single day that the best is yet to come. For individuals who base their value and worth on beauty and youth, I am sure the 20s really are the highlight of their lives, but I think my life is only going to improve with time.
Flowers from my Birthday Bush -- my parents' hydrangea blooms every year the week of my birthday.
I understand your frustration with not achieving your goals. I'm sorry that year 27 was so sucky. Hopefully all the new techniques you learned will come in handy in the future. I do agree that your attitude is amazing and that better things are to come. Each stage of life is different, each have highlights and low lights.
ReplyDeleteMy time in graduate school sucked. After graduate school (post doc, tenure track job), I am MUCH happier. May your 28th year be awesome!
ReplyDeleteHere's to happy, healthy days, regardless of the number attached!
ReplyDeleteI agree that you should always look forward to the future and not be afraid of aging. As I told people around my birthday, if my twenties are as good as it gets I'm sorely disappointed. I refuse to believe that these painful years of learning and growth (personal and academic) are the best years of my life. Sure, it may be the last few years that I don't have wrinkles or that I can eat that cupcake without thinking too much about it but come on, best years? I sincerely doubt that.
ReplyDeleteThe best days/weeks/months/years have yet to come and I look forward to being 30, 35, 40, 45, and so on. . . What is wrong with recognizing that a little bit of that security that comes with age is a good thing?
I'm sorry you had such an awful year. For what it's worth, my 30s have been infinitely better than my 20s, and I've heard many people say the same.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful birthday, and here's to 28 being better than 27!
happy birthday!! i agree with your philosophy that life gets better with age, otherwise we'd all peek early and be bitter and miserable reliving our "glory years" like high school jocks/princesses that never got over graduation!
ReplyDeleteas for the year being a bust, workwise, it doesn't really sound like it has... it sounds more like a building year, building skill sets and networking for a better post doc than if everything worked well the first time. for the record, i'm being positive about this because i had a similar time of it this year and that's how i've rationalized it :) my theory (untested and based on anecdotal evidence) is that the more you struggle to get the data for your Ph.D., the better your postdoc experience is. hopefully it works out for both of us!!
I really appreciate all that you have to say..
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday! I rarely complete all of my goals for the year, but, if it makes you feel better - you'll always be younger than me ;)!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! Those flowers are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAs someone well into her 30s, I'd say you're right - the best is yet to come. Hang in there!!!
I'm firmly with you! Here's to the best being ahead! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Bday! (belated) I hope and think the rest of your life will be great. as for the disappointment of not "getting the stuff ackomplished" it sounds like a little of the "I've done my grad studeis for X years and I am SO tired to the bone". It'll get better! And maybe revisit the experiment with your boss since it makes little sense not to use the data you've compiled.
ReplyDeleteHappy thoughts and hope you can get a good weekend!