Last month, I was selling tickets to the Battle Royale in which I took on the laboratory equipment. This week, I am selling tickets to my one-woman three-ring circus. The only problem with taking off a fabulous two weeks for winter break is having to get everything done before I am actually able to leave! Everything was timed perfectly and could fit fantastically into the four days of the week except that, of course, the dishes of cells I needed to use to make cell lysate were not confluent enough to use until Wednesday, thereby setting back everything by a day.
Thursday’s plan was simple: just strip and reblot two Westerns, lyse the HEK cells, make more GST-EWS and GST-EWS-Fli beads, pour and run an 8% polyacrylamide gel, and transfer gel to a membrane – simultaneously. Alone, each is simple, but try to do all at once, and regardless of how well you plan, it gets a little out of control. I felt like hanging up posters in the hallway inviting everyone to come watch Julie juggle multiple experiments and screw them all up! I made sure to write everything out the night before so I could just follow through quickly without having to pause to think about what I needed to do, and there I was in the lab bright and early at
After a week and a half off to study for finals, I realized that I did miss being in the lab. I think with graduate school, so much is thrown at you all at once that it’s really easy to become overwhelmed. When I’m in class, I’m stressed over what’s going on in lab, and likewise when I’m in lab, I’m stressed over having to study for classes. Taking the time to sort out each one separately definitely reminded me that I do enjoy what I’m doing, and having a week in lab and lab alone, no classes and studying since finals were over, reassured my confidence that this is what I want to do, and that things will get better and I will be happier once I can be in the lab 60 hours a week without having to go home and study. Since I’m finally getting into the depth of my rotation project, I feel bad packing up and leaving for two weeks and I’m sure while I am at home I will feel guilty not being in the lab, but you know what? I just survived what everyone in the program proclaims to be the worst semester of graduate school, so I am going to go enjoy my two science-free weeks and let my brain recover from more biochemistry studying than I ever thought possible!
0 comments:
Post a Comment