Friday, December 22, 2006

Stuffed with Sufganiyot

Dr. Free-Ride caught me red-handed with a sufganiyot, so here goes....

1. Latkes or Sufganiyot?
Definitely latkes. Despite the post title, I really don't like sufganiyot (jelly-filled doughnuts, for you non-Hebes)... in fact, I don't like any doughnuts. I eat one sufganiyot per Hanukkah season to appease my mother. But latkes... everyone loves a good latke (but only with sour cream)!

2. Multi-colored candles or blue-and-white?
We used both. There is a tin of the cheapy multi-colored candles, and a box of fancy blue-and-white hand-dipped swirled candles, and it just depends which is closer to grab (if there are guests over, we always use the fancy candles).

3. Do you place the Hanukiah by the window or away from the window?
We have an electric one in the window. As far as the real ones, they are lit on the dining room table.

4. Favorite Holiday Dish?
Latkes! I don't eat meat, so the brisket is kind of out... although I also am a sucker for a good quiche or potato kugle.

5. Favorite Holiday Memory?
When I was little, my best friend (not Jewish) always used to come over for a night during Hanukkah. One year when her father was dropping her off for the annual sleepover, he noticed a 3-D paper dreidle hanging from our dining room chandelier, and asked why we were decorating with a plumbob. So now, ever year when my mother hangs the Hanukkah decorations, we all sit around and laugh about the plumbob. (In fact, this year aforementioned friend and her whole family came over for one night of Hanukkah, and her father even brought his plumbob with him to see if we could play dreidle with it!)

6. One Hanukiah or more than one?
We each have our own -- my mother has one with a line of Maccabees (the candles sit on their helmets), my father has one that my uncle the opera singer brought back when he was singing in Tel Aviv, and I have one which my grandmother bought for me (sadly, nobody likes my Hanukkah menorah - it's pretty ugly).

7. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I remember one year my grandmother flew up for Hanukkah and brought me a Game Boy and I was really, really excited.

8. Favorite Holiday Dessert?
I don't think we have a traditional holiday dessert - just cookies and rugelach. I guess my favorite would be the walnut rugelach.

9. Favorite Holiday Song?
I don't really associate any songs with Hanukkah. Although this year, my PI played for me a few songs by a Puerto Rican Jewish rap group from Brooklyn that does hip hop and rap versions of traditional Jewish songs in Yiddish, and it was definitely good for a few laughs.


I tag... anyone else who reads this and happens to celebrate Hanukkah. Not sure if there are any -- so maybe I should change that to anyone who has had a latke this past week!

1 comment: