Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why I can no longer converse with my family...

A snippet of a recent phone conversation with my mother:

Social Scientist Mother: How was your day?
Disgruntled Julie: It sucked. I had a splitting headache all day and had to spend 5 hours in the hood doing cell culture and I was miserable.
Social Scientist Mother: Why were you in the hood all afternoon?
Disgruntled Julie: I have a lot of cell culture to do. At this rate, I'm going to make it through the 18 gigs of music on my computer before I finish this set of experiments.
Social Scientist Mother: Are you sure you should be listening to music? Don't you think you should be paying attention to your surroundings?
Disgruntled Julie: What? I don't need to listen to the blowers in the hood.
Social Scientist Mother: Blowers? Who are they? Just be careful.
Disgruntled Julie: Be careful of what? I can't get cancer from my cells.
Engineering Father, yelling from the background: A hood is a biological safety cabinet, not southeast DC!

Apparently, for the past several years, my mother has thought that I've been doing my cell culture in the ghetto-hood, not the laboratory-hood. And people wonder why I only talk to my mother every other week or so.

9 comments:

  1. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just got up from the floor again!

    I'm sorry for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny, but you should be careful. I'm convinced that I ruined my hearing by listening to my "walkman" too loud for six months while I had an internship in a lab that made scientific instrumentation. I was just running samples with a machine that made a funny "grrrr-rrruh" noise. Those hoods are so much louder than that. On the other hand, maybe my hearing loss has nothing to do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! So its not just my mother who doesn't understand anything about my job then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came onto this post pretty late, but omg, that's freaking hysterical! Communication gaps are pretty typical with my family too. My mom doesn't understand why I can't just sit down for a long weekend of writing and then turn in my dissertation. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ran across your blog and this was really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just found your wonderful blog from a comment you left at StyleyGeek's blog.

    Here's mine. (It was long so I wrote it up as a blog post, instead of a 3 page comment.)

    ReplyDelete