Thursday, May 31, 2007

It's like Christmas!

It doesn't take much to make us happy around here. We have two new undergrads starting research, and today I dug out a timer for each of them, to which one squealed with glee, "It's just like Christmas!" A few hours later, I too was giddy with my new find in the lab....
Notice that my pipettes are now neatly hanging on the wall. For a year and a half I have been secretly wishing that someone with a pipette stand would quit/graduate/move to another lab so that I could take over the stand. I'm a very tidy individual, and having to throw my pipettes in a drawer just wasn't cutting it (although, mind you, the pipettes were always in the drawer in size order, so I always knew when someone else had been using my things). It turns out these velcro-to-the-wall pipette stands had been in the lab the whole time -- it's amazing what a little bit of cleaning can locate. And please, no making fun of my craptastic Finnpipettes. They are the worst pipettes ever. If you're in charge of pipette purchasing for a lab -- STAY FAR AWAY! I have to calibrate them every single week, and the p2 has to be calibrated every time I use it. They are awful. Now I'm just hoping that someone with the Eppendorf pipettes quits/graduates/moves to another lab so that I can snag myself some actual functional pipettes.

And since I was taking pictures and everyone likes to be nosey and see what goes on in the lives of other people.... a picture of my lab bench. Like I said, I'm a little on the tidy side (minus the 6 coomassie gels which have been waiting to be imaged for the past 2 weeks). And if you notice that everything on my bench is labeled with my name.... it's not that I can't share, it's just that things have a tendency of walking off in this lab, and it's easier to locate them if they have JULIE plastered on the side in blue tape.

Now, if you don't mind, I am going to go admire my new pipette stands a bit more, because after 12.5 hours in the lab, I don't think I can handle doing anything brain-requiring while I wait for my gel to finish running.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to be the same everywhere. My name is written in some way or another on everything also. People say I'm territorial but I like to know where my things are when I need to use them.

    My pipettes are also in order by size because it makes it faster to do work. I don't have to look, just grab. Of course, unless someone had their sticky fingers on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can appreciate the need to have an extremely tidy lab area. it just makes life a little easier. as for labeling, i've found it's the only way to keep stuff as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of your beautiful bench. Teach me.

    I'm not as bad as my labmates though - scary stuff. I should snap pics of their benches and post :)

    ReplyDelete