Being on vacation reminds me of what it feels like to be happy. Having spent so much time completely miserable in the lab, I had forgotten. The fun, relaxing part of my time away doesn't even start until tomorrow, but it has been blissful thus far. A bad day out of the lab is still significantly better than a good day in the laboratory.
Normally, after a week out of the lab, I would be itching to go back. I think right now I would be quite content with never returning. I'm not sure if this is a testament to the fact that I am drastically overworked and need a month to recover (I haven't taken any time off since 3 days at Thanksgiving -- I refuse to count my 2.5 weeks out of the lab over "winter break" as any sort of a break, since I was studying 12-14 hours/day, every single day, for comprehensive exams), or if it is a sign that I need to run far, far away from the lab and find something else to do with my life.
Thus far over my time away, I have moved to a new apartment (after 6 years of friendship, 4.5 years of dating, and 0.5 years of engagement, my fiance and I finally decided to get with the 21st century and move in together), moved all the excess furniture to his mother's house, cleared out the spare bedroom in his mother's house and converted it into his new room for his away rotations in Philadelphia for most of next year, cut off 11.5 inches of hair for Locks of Love (pictures to come) and have the shortest hair I have had since I was about 10 years old, attended a lovely engagement party thrown by my future mother-in-law, and celebrated my father's retirement from 36 years of running mass transit safety for the Department of Transportation.
Now, I am off to enjoy 4 days at my parent's best friend's lake house, where I will do nothing but sit on the deck and work my way through a case of beer and water ski (although preferably not in that order), followed by 4 days at my fiance's family's shore house in Margate, where I will do nothing but sit on the porch in a vodka gimlet-induced daze, walk miles and miles up and down the boardwalk, and watch other people lose their money in Atlantic City (I will not be participating in the money loosing process, as I have a very spontaneous, very exciting trip to Las Vegas coming up in August).
I think I would be very content to never return to a tissue culture hood again.
Saturday, June 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
All that relaxtion sounds fabulous! Have a beer for me.
ReplyDeleteHooray for vacation! You totally deserve one.
ReplyDelete