Thursday, April 03, 2008

Departmental Talk

This morning I survived my once-yearly research talk to the faculty (and students) of our department. Most people really stress over the talk, practice for weeks and weeks – I throw my slides together at the last minute and just kind of wing it. I'm at quite the advantage because I have no problems whatsoever with public speaking, unlike the average scientist. It wasn’t quite as much of a smashing success as last year (seriously, last year basically EVERY PI who was there came up and raved to me about what a great job I did, how it was the best 2nd year talk they had ever seen, etc.) – this year I just got a couple of “Great presentation, Julie!” comments at the end, but then again I think I set the bar so high last year that everyone just kind of expected it. My favorite part were the gasps in shock when people saw the sheer number of purification attempts I have tried for the pain-in-the-ass protein I’ve been trying to purify for 2+ years (and this is after a post-doc worked on the purification for about a year) – if it’s out there, I’ve tried it.

I can never figure out what my PI expects out of me, though. Last year, despite all the rave reviews, he told me that my talk was too animated – I’m giving a scientific talk, not delivering a political speech. This year I reeled it in to science-mode, and his first comment was that the speech was too monotone and why don’t I think about putting a little life into it? And he said that rather than just state that one of the post-docs did one of the experiments, I should have actually put her name on the screen for doing it -- which is a valid point and fine, except that when she did her talk and used some of my data, there was no mention of my name anywhere (not that I cared at all, but shouldn't this naming who did the experiment things worth both ways then?). I also found it a tad frustrating that I did a quick run-through of my talk at lab meeting on Tuesday and he waits until after the real talk to point out the changes to make to certain slides – why even bother with the run-through anyway? Isn’t that the point? To say on Tuesday that I might want to change this to that, you know, BEFORE the actual talk, rather than after the talk is over? And, once again, like every other year, he interrupted me, mid-talk, to ASK ME QUESTIONS. It would be one thing if this was the norm, but around here advisors come to talks and defend their students to the death – PIs tend to be very protective of their graduate students. If someone raises a question about the work, the PI justifies the work, answers questions that the student can’t answer, etc. I mean, if there is a real problem with the student’s work, then so be it, but if it’s just a tough question that the student doesn’t know the answer to, rather than let him/her flounder up there, the PI will swoop down and provide an answer when it is obvious that the student is unable to do so. Rather than answering the questions, my PI is the one ­asking the questions to which I do not know the answer and he knows that I do not know the answer because it is collaborative data and what is on the screen in my talk is quite literally the only information which has been shared with me. I have no problem with questioning my knowledge, but isn’t that why we present our data at our own laboratory meetings? Wouldn’t that be a better forum for questions than in front of the entire department? I’m not sure what he stands to gain by making me look incompetent while all the other PIs attempt to make their own graduate students look brilliant.

At the end, he did comment that I would have one more talk to do for this before defending my thesis… which would imply that I would graduate within the next year and a half(!!!!). I’m not going to hold my breath, though – there were rumors that the 6th year Ph.D. student in my lab would be graduating as early as a full year ago, but he only did his thesis defense last month and still has several more experiments to complete. It is, however, nice to think that there is a light at the end of this tunnel that might be an end, rather than just a train of failed experiments coming to run me over.

6 comments:

  1. Well congratulations on what I'm sure was a great talk. I've encountered the "bar too high" phenomenon too. People just expect me to give a GREAT talk... to the point where sometimes I think they are disappointed that it was only good. :/

    It sounds like your supervisor has some issues. Seriously. You are his student, as in you're supposed to learn from him, not just be evaluated by him. That kind of attitude drives me nuts. I totally agree that the time for questions and comments about slides is the run-though... that is the point! Not for you to pat yourself on the back for having practised it. Gah.

    I hope your protein purification works out, and you get amazing results and fly right outta there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with physics*chick. (Except I don't do too well at public speaking.)

    Your PI sounds like a jerk. That's part of his job is to help you, not question you in front of the entire department. But graduation within the next year and a half-- that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with physics*chick and Amanda. Your PI is the last person who should be grilling you at a departmental talk. Does he do this to all his students???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always surprised during our one year grad talks that graduate students get questions by their advisers. It always made me think that the adviser had never seen their students data/talk before. But maybe they are just behaving as you just explained. My adviser is like yours but only during lab meeting he never says anything in the dept. talks.
    Today I swooped down and answered a question that a student in my group didn't know after her talk but I'm feeling bad like maybe she took it wrong. We don't know each other very well and she's a first year so maybe she hasn't seen anyone save the speaker before. It wasn't a scientific question just a question of what is done locally so it wasn't a big deal she didn't know the answer. But maybe I should have let adviser answer it or tell the person in private after seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on what sounds like a job well done.

    The way I got The Boss to commit to an exit time was to apply for academic jobs. Since 99.7% of full-time academic positions start Aug 1 or 15, The Boss knew I had to graduate by the summer or else have to wait a full extra year. Defending in 2 weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Protein purifications can take forever to get right....congrats on a good talk though.
    Seriously, the attitude of research people who don't understand that when you have to develop protocols etc that that is also research? I got all this crap for immunohisto people about stuff not working for me....when all they did was count cells under a microscope using staining kits that worked out of the box...

    ReplyDelete