Thursday, January 22, 2009

Barack Obama is Ruining My Life

48 hours in office, and President Obama is already on my shit-list. (And, speaking of becoming the president, I will post about my experiences attending the inauguration... it just may take a while. Now that my pictures are all at home, I am far less motivated to do anything picture-related since I can't put it together while in the lab).

So what, you ask, could the President have already done?

He invited his mother-in-law to move in and help raise the children.

Which lead to a phone call from my mother-in-law, insisting that if the President lets his mother-in-law move in to raise the children, then she damn well expects that when we eventually have children, she will be able to move in with us and help raise the children.

Thanks a lot, Barack. Thanks a lot.

My response was that if my husband is able to buy us a home equal in size to the White House, then she is welcome to come move in to a wing far away from me. One square inch smaller than the White House, however, and there will be a no mothers-in-law clause (regarding moving in; mothers-in-law will be permitted to visit.... occasionally).

I'm wondering if I can receive some sort of Presidential Pardon to prohibit my mother-in-law from moving in. It might be my only hope. Either that, or a hysterectomy.

18 comments:

  1. Loved your previous comment on Blue eyed bride's blog. I think ppl will find anything to complain about and refuse to look at the positive!! Your MIL is too funny. I don't think the President is too thrilled with the idea either! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me? Seriously, the white house might not be big enough to give you enough space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the fact that she was crazy to mention this, I'd say that you need two White Houses to give shelter to that insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, awwww....these crazy ideas that MILs have sometimes....good luck :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a very similar experience with my own mom...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You crack me up... hopefully, the mother-in-law moving in idea will lose steam quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss B -- Sadly, my MIL is not being humorous, here... she is dead serious! If it's good enough for the President, it's good enough for me. She's already planning out where we are going to live location-wise so she can still be close to her friends.

    Psych Post Doc and Kaitlyn - Good point. Perhaps I can have the White House-sized house, and then build her a little shack in the back, half an acre away?

    PD and Julie -- I sure hope it's just a crazy idea and will lose steam, but knowing my MIL and her demands that she wants grandchildren and she wants them NOW, I don't think she'll ever give up!

    DocElectron -- So sorry to hear you went through something similar. At least I know my mother would never make such a request - she knows I'd ban her from ever seeing the grandchildren if she tried to move in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your MIL made a little error here: it is the president's MIL who is moving in the white house - HER mother. If anyone should move into your house it's _your_ mother en not your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a ridiculous rationale!
    My mom thinks she is coming to live near (not with) us to help with kids. My husband hates this idea because he wanted to stay home with any possible future kids. She is ruining his whole plan...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three words: Witness Protection Program.

    That may be your only choice. I told Dr. Man the other day that when we have children we are not telling my parents about it until the kid is about a month old. He thought I was joking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cracks me up....but I am also frightened for you. I think that anonymous makes a good point. Mom's mom is moving into the white house. Your MIL doesn't fit the criteria. Perhaps if she wanted to buy the white house for you, then it might be OK?

    I'm afraid your only other alternative is to claim sterility. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. uh-oh... I hope my MIL-to-be does not take on this idea... though I think she knows I would not be happy with that. We lived in their house for over a year, in a separate flat, but still, it was not always easy for me. Add long-awaited grandchildren to that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Albatross - I wish my husband was like yours. He ONLY wants to live near his mother, which scares me. I am instituting a minimum 40 minute buffer zone -- close enough that he can see her whenever he wants, but far enough to prevent the pop-in. And until he has a place 40 minutes away, I will stay in DC and extend the length of our long-distance marriage!

    Amanda: I always say I don't want to tell my MIL until well after the child is born! Except, my husband CANNOT keep anything from his mother, so I'm pretty sure when I go into labor, I won't even tell HIM. Otherwise, his mother will show up and expect to stand at the foot of the bed and watch the show. I don't think so.

    AA - Knowing all the miscarriages in my family and my own personal history, I'm expecting that it will be quite hard for us to have children. But if I never have any, she'll probably brainwash my husband to divorce me and marry someone super-fertile. After all, my only use is as a uterus.

    Amelie - I could absolutely not live with my MIL. Aside from the baby-issue, she's always been lovely to me, but I could never, ever live with her. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooch! I didn't mean to be insensitive about your/your family's medical history. I wish you the best of luck when you do start trying...both with conceiving and with dealing with the MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AA - Definitely didn't take it as an insensitive comment -- no harm done. Just stating that it may be the case... and my mother in law may kick me to the curb for that fact! Either that, or I'll cave and leave on my own under the weight of 2,000 pounds of Jewish guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amanda> I know what you mean... not the "MIL" who keeps trouble, only mother. (I love her but sometimes, mostely lately, it is too much with the granchildren to be discussions.)

    EtBR> I would never survive either "MIL" or my mother to move in. Granted though, I wonder what would give first - my bf (as in relationship is over) or I if my mother was to move in?! Good luck with keeping all of you happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband once actually *suggested* that when we have children his mother should come stay with us. I managed to convince him it was not a good idea because I would likely kill her.

    ReplyDelete