And a little piece of my died inside. Have I mentioned how much I hate Macs?
Now, it was nice to finally get a computer. I was really starting to feel like a second-class citizen. When I first joined the lab, the rule was that since money was tight, no more computers would be purchased -- graduate students had to provide their own (i.e., bring in our own personal laptops), and post-docs and techs had to make-do with the current computer situation. But then they started getting upgraded computers, and the other grad student had an unfortunate incident with her laptop and a can of peach spritzer (laptop: 0, peach spritzer: 1). She declared that it was the fault of dragging her laptop back and forth everyday (and not the fault of storing a can of liquid in her laptop case) that it met its untimely end and she would not be bringing her new computer in the lab... so of course, the lab bought her one. And before I knew it, everyone had a fairly new-ish computer... except me.
Then, the lab decided that since everyone else was too lazy to back up their computers on a regular basis, and Macs have a habit of running totally smooth and then just up and dying one day (hence resulting in regular, major data loss), we were going to invest in a terabyte hard drive and network all the computers to it for nightly back-ups. Except that everyone had to be on a Mac... and I still had my PC. And hence, a brand new 20" iMac appeared next to my desk.
Three weeks later? I hate Macs even more than I did before... and I didn't know that was possible. Now, if you're not particularly knowledgeable about computers, I get that they are straightforward and far more idiot-proof than a PC. But... they just don't do the things I want! I know my way around a computer well, and made dozens and dozens of tweaks to my PC to have everything run exactly the way I want. And the Mac? It just doesn't do that. In three weeks, I have called Apple seven times to ask how to get something to work the way I want it to, and seven straight times I was told that Macs just don't have those capabilities. Really? Why on earth would anyone pay significantly more money for an equivalent computer that doesn't do what a PC does? Considering the price, I would expect the Mac to go above and beyond my PC... and it has failed, terribly.
Boo.
Although, the 20" screen will be useful come poster-making time... if only all the figures I previously made would show up on the Mac (they won't). Just look at the difference between my tiny little portable laptop, and my new ginormous lab computer!
On the other hand, I do sorely miss having all my personal things with me in the lab. Waiting for 10 hour column runs on the weekend is so utterly boring when I don't have my own files (hence the lack of posts lately -- everything I want to post requires pictures, and all the pictures are on my home computer).
However, a big screen isn't enough to sway my vote. Two thumbs down for Apple.
I use a PC while I'm at my house, and I use Ryan's Mac when I'm at his. In all honesty, I prefer a Mac. I find the programs it is able to carry, the display, the ease of use... blah blah blah you've heard this before. Right?
ReplyDeleteIt sucks, but I think this may be the best option for the lab as a whole... wow, so not helping here, am I?
You have a Mac... and it sucks. I'll shutup now :)
Also, thank you for the kind offer of HTML help. As soon as I feel capable of taking the time to change my layout (preaching to the choir,huh?) I'll be contacting you :) Your blog looks great!
ReplyDeleteAw, I'm sorry to hear you hate your mac. I happen to *heart* mine but I understand not everyone will feel that way.
ReplyDeleteI hope you and your mac can come to some sort of productive "understanding" :). Good luck.
You have my sympathy. I also hate Macs. I hope you at least got a multi-button mouse. Can you dual boot Windows on it?
ReplyDeleteI'm hurt and offended by your refusal to become one of us. But I do understand your love of certain features and frustration in their lack of translation onto other platforms. I often feel the same way about my work PC, but I'm slowly adapting. Still, I'm always relieved to get back to my Mac at the end of the day. They're really lovely machines - you should give the pretty iMac more chances. (But the multi-button mouse is important - I don't like Apple mice.)
ReplyDeleteYou can get Parallels or VMware Fusion & load Windows onto it if you get desperate... I personally love Macs after being a "frankenputer" kinda girl for >20 years, but understand that it can be hard to adapt to for some people (I switch from OSX to Windows to Linux on a regular basis depending on the computer I'm using and have little to no trouble switching, but it would drive most people nuts). I recently got an iMac for graduation and the flat aluminum keyboard did take some getting used to, but now I love the way my fingers fly across it...
ReplyDeleteI can sympathize, but in the reverse. I love my little macbook, but have a deep, intense dislike for the PCs in the lab. I'm sure that, eventually, I'll adjust. Sigh. Ok, so not a very helpful comment.
ReplyDeleteHopefully, you'll eventually find a way to be peacefully assimilated, I mean, get accustomed to the Mac.
You could bring your personal files on a flash drive to the lab. Flash drives are pretty good for Windows to Mac compatibility :P.
ReplyDeleteI switched from PC to mac when I started graduate school, and I agree - if you try to use a mac like you use your PC its just endlessly frustrating. HOWEVER, there are a lot of little ways that OSX makes life easier, and if you take the time to learn them (there's a whole library of quick trick videos on the website) you probably won't regret it.
I was also forced to get a Mac for lab, and uhhh... I'm starting to like it. shhhhhh.
ReplyDeleteThank you! If I have one more person at school tell me how Macs are the greatest invention ever, I'm going to puke. That being said, I've had a lot of problems with two different brands of PCs. But I'm not ready to make the switch anytime soon.
ReplyDeleteThe thing that most caught my attention about this post is the orderliness of your desk!
Ha, sounds like I'm ruffling a lot of feathers with my Mac hatred! My PI, like many of you, is convinced that I will love it and run out and buy a MacBook. I do like that it is quick with a big screen, but those are both just issues with the fact that I have an older, ultraportable laptop... not a Mac vs. PC issue.
ReplyDeleteKatie - Sorry to have offended you... please don't take it personally (Steve Jobs, however, can take it personally). I will admit that it is pretty looking, but I put brains before beauty, and my PC is way smarter. I did get a two-button mouse, thankfully -- I don't know what the heck is wrong with a company that doesn't acknowledge the need for that right click button.
NeuroPostdoc - It's not so much the OS switch for me (I really like Linux), just that I can't get the Mac to do what I want it to do. Argh. I actually HATE the aluminum keyboard with such a passion - my wrists are throbbing beyond belief at the end of the day (and I don't type all that much), whereas I have never, ever had wrist problems on my laptop (where I do a significant amount of typing). And unfortunately, my PI is totally against the dual-booting.
thesciencegirl - Traitor!
Mary - I, too, am so sick of the Apple cult. Thanks for the compliment on my desk, but I almost didn't post the picture because it seemed so messy to me! Things are far neater most days. :)
hm, I have a mac at home and a pc at work and I like both of them. I had a pc but then I joined the macbook crew last summer. I have to say I still don't know to do x,y,z and w on the mac (I am lazy and sohow i don't find it "intuitive" as everyone keeps telling me it is) but i do like the stability of it. And that it is sleek and nice.
ReplyDelete(shallow...) but at the same time I am very happy to ave a pc at work so I can run all my applications as I've always done them.
Good luck though!!
PC folks are unreasonably stubborn to change (like many republicans)
ReplyDeleteApple is hands down a better machine since one is able to boot Windows or OS X . At MIT many found MAC a smarter choice. But hey I wont ever go back to a PC...EVER!
Aw, I'm so sorry you hate it. Bummer! Now I'm curious - what capabilities did the Apple dudes say Macs didn't have? As for your files, I've started keeping mine "in the cloud" (i.e. Google Docs and similar places... I hear Dropbox is good!).
ReplyDeleteI LOVE my mac and will never go back. I'm surprised that you were not able to optimize your apple to how you wanted. I know mac hides lots of things so that non-computer types can't mess things up. Those in the know should be able to make tweaks...
ReplyDeleteI have to totally agree with you. I feel like a leper when I say that in most company. Although there is not much other advice I can offer...at least you don't have to worry about the can of peach spritzer building up a regime and taking down all of the laptops.
ReplyDeletei LOVE my mac, even if it is a tiny iBook. i'm super jealous of your lovely new version, especially since we're using ancient PCs in my lab with no hope for change unless we win the funding lottery!
ReplyDeletethere are 2 things i like better on a PC: 1) lotus notes (school email) is sort of screwy on the mac but the IT people have definitely improved it and 2) you can do stop-motion animation in powerpoint on PCs and macs don't have that capability.
Liz mentioned using a flash drive to transport files. if i could offer some advice? try your flash drive on the mac first, most of the time you have to open it on a mac first (not a PC) so it'll be recognized as viable on the mac. after that it'll go both ways (PC and mac).
i should also state that i was forced into mac-dom by by old lab, i resisted for a long time. ultimately i came to love them :)
good luck, give it time!
Ugh lost the post!
ReplyDeleteThere are options:
1. Get remote desktop prog from windows and install it on the Mac. Set up the laptop (presumably according to the directions provided?) and then you should be able to screen share your laptop.
2. Set up ftp file sharing. I thinnk you can get Cute FTP for the pc, and I can't remember what it is for the Mac, but then you can transfer files back and forth.
3. Continue to bring you laptop to the lab and then transfer the necessary data to the Mac each day.
I'm sorry you're having so many problems. My lab has a policy of "if you don't have a computer then you're S.O.L." I hate not having $$. But I want a new mass spec!
My PC was forcibly removed from my desk when I didn't immeadiatly jump on the lab Mac bandwagon.
ReplyDeleteI really, really like them now, and I even have a Macbook pro of my own. Now that I have to use Vista at work (ew.), I really miss my G5 desktop. I guess we just prefer what we get used to? Maybe someone already pointed this out to you, but can you run bootcamp on it? Then you can run both the mac OS AND windows...and you can just work on the PC side.
Chall - Do you have problems switching between the two? I've had major issues with the fact that what is Ctrl on a PC is the Apple key on a Mac -- I am always hitting the wrong one for whatever computer I am using!
ReplyDeleteKasia - Most of my problems have been with data organization. I have thousands of files in the lab, and had my PC programmed that based on what I named the file on my desktop, it automatically went into the proper folder, so I didn't have to dig through all the folders and locate the right one. No such luck on a Mac. Also, thanks for the Dropbox suggestion -- I'm definitely going to look into it!
ScientistMother - That's why I called Apple directly, I figured they'd know what to do way more than me!
Ryn - Glad to hear I am not the only anti-mac out there!
Quiet&Small - Don't even get me started on Powerpoint on a Mac! I HATE it!
Kerri - Unfortunately, we're not allowed to set up any kind of remote access or FTP programs because of security reasons (patient data falling into the wrong hands, etc). It would make my life so much easier!
UR - No Bootcamp allowed for us (the point of the Mac is apparently to use it like a Mac). Maybe I'll adjust to it over time, but so far... no likey. I actually don't mind Vista at all though, personally.
Hi -
ReplyDelete*Regarding your data organization problem, I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it natively using an AppleScript, but the easy way out is something like Hazel (http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php), it can also do a lot more than simply move your docs to different folders.
*I'd never thought of calling Apple directly. Usually, if I have any problems/questions, I go to an Apple store, avoid all the salespeople and get to the 'Genius bar'. In my experience, there's lots of people working for Apple who seem to think they know a lot about computing and Apple software, but actually don't.
*Glad to hear you hate PowerPoint on a Mac -but why limit this prejudice? Powerpoint is despicable on any platform. Try Keynote.
Cheers,
F