As an undergrad, my roommate and I always had a little plan – if one of us wouldn’t be home by a certain time in the evening, we would call or email or text the other, just to let the other know that everything was fine. It was always reassuring to know that someone was always aware of my whereabouts and that if something happened to me, someone would know to be concerned. Having a blog with wonderfully loyal readers is much the same way – I can’t fall off the radar for too long without receiving emails, comments, Twitter messages, and (for those of you who have figured out my real identity) Facebook messages questioning where I have gone over the past 2 weeks. It’s nice to know that when you fall off the internets, people notice that too.
In all honestly, I just needed a break from life. I’ve been dealing with a really rather ugly situation over here – something that I’m not going to get into detail on the blog, because I’m not anonymous enough, and I don’t want it to come back and bite me in the tush someday. But, suffice to say, it’s left me questioning everything, trusting no one, and downright miserable. For those of you who did realize that something was wrong and contacted me regarding the situation, your concern and advice has been appreciated more than I could possibly put into words. At this point, I’ve just had to accept that there is honestly nothing I can do, the situation is out of my hands, shit happens, and that’s that. I can’t change the situation anymore, but I can vow to never do to someone else what has been done to me, and thus feel like I am making a difference that way.
And so, knowing that I couldn’t improve the situation, I just gave myself time to be angry. I gave myself two weeks to be angry and throw myself a pity party, and after two weeks, then it was time to clean up my act and move on with life. I’ve worked too hard and put too many years into this to let my anger or disappointment in others get the best of me.
I took a break from blogging, and for about a week in there, reading blogs altogether. I tried to catch up, but faced with over 1500 unread items in my Google Reader, I just gave up, and clicked the “Mark All As Read.” If I missed anything huge of yours, I do truly apologize – I feel like I’ve deserted friends. I’ve tried to be better this past week, but the week before was kind of a lost cause. I had too many other things with which to deal, and the whole blogosphere just seemed so extremely… insignificant all of a sudden, and I just needed to take a break and think about the best way to deal with my own situation. So, a break I took, but after a two week hiatus, here I am.
I'm sorry that you're having that ugly situation. That is very unpleasant and (as I enjoy your blog) makes me angry on your behalf. I'm glad that you're back.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you're dealing with something so terrible. I hope the two weeks helped you sort things out. It's always good to allow yourself to be angry, sad, disappointed, and blah. I just started reading your blog before your last post, so I'm glad you're back!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that things have been difficult lately. I'm hoping that the situation works itself out!
ReplyDeleteHey EB....I was just starting to wonder what's going on with you...I just recently came back from hiatus too, so I didn't quite notice until a few days ago that you've been gone.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you were smart enough to give yourself time to be pissed and not feel beholden to the blogosphere...I hope that everything works out for the better in the end and I'm sorry you had some bad shit done to you. :(:(
But I'm glad you're back.
Don't feel guilty about the "mark all as read" move. It's usually a good idea IMO.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry things are hard for you. You've been a good blog friend to me and I don't think you deserve this.
Sorry things have been shitty. Don't worry about "abandoning friends"...we've missed you but we're still here and if you need a break you should definitely have one. Hope things start looking up soon.
ReplyDeleteSometimes you just gotta get mad and get it all out of you. I'm glad you're doing better now-- MP
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your troubles. It's very admirable of you to limit your pity party to a mere two weeks and move past it so quickly! Keep your chin up, girl.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to anonymity, perhaps you can post a "protected" entry. I use this feature all the time on Xanga. Maybe there's an equivalent feature available on blogspot? It limits any posts designated as "protected" to registered users that you've predetermined. It's been a real sanity-saver for me!
I am sorry to hear about the crappy stuff but glad you are able to take care of yourself while dealing with it. Also glad you are back!
ReplyDeleteThis is the second blog I've read this week where I realize I should have noticed you were absent. I get so concerned about the life that I'm living, and I feel like I'm betraying a friend when I don't check in on you.
ReplyDeleteI pray you're doing alright, and that everything is working out.
Sorry you're having a rough time. Sounds like you have a healthy perspective on what you need to do to move on. Glad you're back to blogging :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the crappy situation. Its so hard when something like that happens. Hugs to you. I am proud of you for taking only 2 weeks, I usually need way more than that. We missed you, but totally understand. Take all the time you need, we'll be here when you're back.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! Its been quiet in my reader without you, but I'm glad to see everything is, relatively, alright! I hope things work themselves out and that its all for the best!
ReplyDeleteSorry for the ugly situation... I'm glad you're back though! But really, sometimes you just need a break from everything. Take whatever steps you need.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for the crap situation. I'm semi-absent with a somewhat crappy situation that I don't want to blog about either (and have little power to change), so perhaps I understand.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back!
Sorry to hear things have been difficult. It sucks that sometimes only time makes things better. I hope that time passes quickly for you.
ReplyDeleteAnd welcome back!
Sorry to hear things have been bad but I'm glad to see you back.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are able to resolve what you are going through, but it's good you were able to take the time and space needed to try and sort it out.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with it all... I rely on your blog to make me feel like I am not so alone, so I hope you don't disappear too often, for selfish reasons :)
Sorry to hear that the situation didn't resolve better. Glad you took a break and glad you came back.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about an ugly situation and completely think it was a good thing to take a break! Hope for it to be better soon and that you feel better too.
ReplyDeleteIf you need to/want to vent there is always email and sometimes an anonymous thing is a good thing?! Anyway, best of luck and thoughts!
Life can really pile the crap on sometimes. I'm sorry to hear that things are not going your way at the moment and really hope it all sorts itself out and that you are feeling better soon xx
ReplyDelete