The first six games in the Penguins-Capitals series were back-and-forth, jumping up-and-down nail-biting type of games. And, as a huge Penguins fan, I am, of course, ecstatic that the Penguins won the series and will be advancing in the quest for the Cup (and the fact that I hate the Capitals makes the victory that much sweeter).
But the best part about extending the Penguins season? It continues to give me an excuse to talk to my father every other night. I don’t call home that often – generally once a week at most, usually more like every 10-12 days. It’s not that I don’t like my parents, it’s just that my mother has horrible phone etiquette and I cannot handle talking to her. From the moment I say I need to go and say my goodbyes, it takes a minimum of fifteen minutes to actually get her off the line. And as I have no patience for this (or the constant “When are you going to be done? Why aren’t you done yet? Do you have an estimated graduation date yet? rapid fire questions), I choose to just minimize the phone calls home. (Really. Every. Single. Time. She cannot get off the damn phone. Ever. And if I hang up on her, she calls back to yell at me for hanging up on her, even if I warned her that I desperately need to go and am hanging up the phone.)
Until hockey playoffs came into the picture. My father follows hockey closer than any other sport, and stays glued to his TV during the playoffs. He can give-or-take football, and taught me to love baseball but falls asleep in front of the TV more than actually watching the games. But hockey? And the Penguins are in the playoffs? It’s perfect. Every night after the game, he calls, and we discuss the game… and it is wonderful. So thank you, Penguins, for pulling off the blowout tonight and giving me at least another four nights of hockey phone calls in which I am able to talk to my father in peace… with the guarantee that my mother will not answer the phone and ask a single question about the lab. As a bit of a Daddy’s Girl, I really cannot thank you enough.
That is so sweet - both the Penguins winning (I love them too) and being able to talk to your Dad about every game!
ReplyDeleteThat is so awesome that you and your dad have "Hockey Talk." My family is pretty into hockey as well - but once the Canadiens and Flames were out, most interest was lost.
ReplyDeleteI personally don't really care who won that series - even though, I do like Ovechkin better than Crosby. :P
That's so sweet. The new Star Trek movie has given me an excuse to talk just to my dad (I'm a bit of a daddy's girl myself). I talk to my mom all the time, but rarely does the phone get passed over - it's nice when it does :)
ReplyDeletethat was AWESOME wasn't it?
ReplyDeleteThat's cute!
ReplyDeleteYay, one more sport down... one sport closer to college football season, woohoo!!
My dad is just really bad at talking on the phone, so we don't really speak much. Except for rugby matches. We are the only two in the family who really care about it. And I love discussing the matches with him. One of my favourite parts of a game :) So I get you.
ReplyDeleteso, remember at the beginning of the season when some players and coaches hand delivered tickets to fans? Yeah, my in-laws had theirs delivered by Sid the Kid himself. Go Pens!!
ReplyDeleteYay, Mrs. CH! More Penguins fans ALWAYS welcome around here!
ReplyDeleteWithout Adornment - For me, it's just my dad and grandfather; even though my father played hockey for a while, nobody else in my family picked up an interest. And my mother really doesn't get it. So I LOVE that it's something that my mother won't even pretend to care about enough to even want to go to games with us!
Mrs. Chemist - I feel like everyone should have something special reserved just for one parent. Glad you can share being a Trekkie with your father. :)
ScientistMother - It was a GREAT series! Last night's game against Carolina wasn't too shabby either, though -- more exciting than I thought it would be.
UR - Hate to disappoint, but hockey isn't OVER - just knocked out one more team.
Lab Pixie - My father just isn't too talkative in general. He's an engineer so he understands my research so we'll talk about that on occasion, but really, there isn't much to say. But sports -- now that is worth talking about!
Coasting Anon - I think that was the very first post I commented about on your blog, I was SO jealous when I read that they got the hand delivered tickets from Crosby!! What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!