I very well may have, at age 25, reached my ultimate peak… at least when it comes to sports. It’s all down hill from here.
First, the Steelers win the Superbowl in February… the very first NFL team to acquire 6 Lombardi Trophies.
And then, tonight, on the very same night, just minutes apart, the Pittsburgh Penguins win the Stanley Cup and the Hershey Bears (AHL minor league hockey) win the Calder Cup. As my father resides in Pennsylvania, he got to watch BOTH games simultaneously. I cannot remember the last time I heard him so happy. Three Stanley Cups in my lifetime – each more exciting than the next. I’m not going to lie; I almost teared up when Mario Lemieux lifted the Cup over his head and brought it down for a kiss. As I’ve already mentioned, watching the Penguins has always brought me closer to my father, and I am so thrilled to have been able to watch another Stanley Cup win “with” (over the phone) him.
Picture from the last Penguins game I attended with my father – March 10, 2001 (Jagr had just scored a hat trick, conveniently on free hat giveaway night)
Hot damn, it’s GREAT to be a Pittsburgh (and central Pennsylvania) fan.
LET’S GO PENS!!!
Penguins win Stanley Cup versus Detroit Red Wings:
Hershey Bears win Calder Cup versus Manitoba Moose:
And Julie rejoices.
WWOOOHHHOOOO Penguins!! I have been a fan of that team since the late 80s, and I am just so, so, so happy for them! I teared up when Mario lifted the cup too!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy for you....
ReplyDeleteBUT...
why the hell is hockey still going on in JUNE???
That cup rightfully belongs in Detroit.
ReplyDeleteWe're Hockeytown.
It'll be back next year.
Until then, I challenge the Pengs to win a series without ref assistance.
(I love you, but I'm obligated by residence to trash talk the pengs! :) )
P.S. It's so great that you love sports-- they're amazing! :)
I must say that I was happy that the penguins won - it wouldn't have been fair if the red wings won two years in a row.
ReplyDeleteI always love the winning team group photo because everyone looks so silly and euphoric at the same time.
I'm currently watching the news and they're talking about Sidney Crosby's town in Nova Scotia being really excited about him winning and him coming home. It's really cute! Apparently they all went to the hockey rink where he used to play and watched the game.
I thought of you last night when I watched the end of the game. I have to say, the only thing I really know about the Penguins is that they beat the MN North Stars in the Stanley Cup finals back in '91, right before the evil Norm Green packed up the North Stars and shipped them to TX...Minnesotans are still a little bitter about that period in time.
ReplyDeleteI was however rooting for the Penguins this time around b/c, let's face it, it's nice to see someone beat the Red Wings.
Congrats!
Yessss!
ReplyDeleteThe night the Pen's won, I was driving home. On the turnpike, I saw many flashing signs saying, "go pens!"
I was so scared I'd miss the ending! Finally, I got home and my mom was there and I caught the last 10 minutes. It was amazing. Also, on a sidenote, Mario is looking GOOD! :-) ow ow! My mom loooooves him and it was very clear that night. She was like "Ohhhh there he is!!!!!!" lol