Monday, February 01, 2010

Crafted-It-Forward

Many, many (many) moons ago, I posted about participating in a Craft-It-Forward, in which one person sent me a homemade gift, and in exchange, I would pass on homemade gifts to 5 other people.

Rebekah kicked it off and sent me an amazing lemonade sugar scrub.  I LOVE the scent of lemon, so I really, really enjoyed the scrub.  I’ve been meaning to make some of my own!

I also saw that Amy was participating, so we agreed to send each other something as well.  Amy sent along ridiculously amazingly delicious Oregon Blackberry Jam (so good, I forwent the scone and just at the jam out of the jar with a spoon) and some yummy vanilla shortbread.

For my outgoing crafty gifts, I decided to make scarves.  Since it was supposed to be a surprise, I just asked each person their favorite colors, and tried to pick something out of my stash that matched.  I hope everyone has been enjoying their scarves, especially in this extra cold and snowy winter!

Rina over at Gotta Little Space wasn’t picky and listed a variety of colors, so off went a cozy blue, purple, and black variegated scarf in her direction.IMG_1520

Geeka said she liked green, so I abided to her wishes, even though I was super tempted to make her a black and gold STEELERS themed scarf!IMG_3348

Profgrrrrl likes eggplantish-purple and sage green, and since she lives in a warmer-weather climate, I tried to do a more open, lacier scarf which wouldn’t be quite so heavy as the others I made.IMG_3373

Lucy Pigpuppet  said she liked rainbow stripes or anything “bright and happy-looking.”  I had the perfect yarn in mind as soon as I read that!IMG_3362

Amy said she was on a yellow kick, but unfortunately, I had no suitable yellow yarn in my stash.  I gave her a list of colors to chose from (which I admit, must be tricky when you have no idea what you are receiving!) and she picked a pumpkin orange. IMG_4752 

And, lastly, Jenna finally received her scarf last week!  A girl after my own heart, Jenna said her favorite colors were black and white (not that I don’t enjoy colors, but I can’t think of any color combination classier and more timeless than black and white!).  Jenna even posted a picture on her own blog of her sporting the new scarf!  I hope it keeps her (and her adorable baby bump) toasty warm throughout the cold streak in Dallas!IMG_490564fd60b 

Thanks for your patience and waiting so long, and I hope you enjoyed participating as much as I did in the Craft-It-Forward!

(If anyone is interested in pattern information, all the details are on my Ravelry page.  And if you’re on Ravelry, friend me so I can see what you are working on, too!)

11 comments:

  1. Wow - I love all of these! Great work!

    I just joined Ravelry a couple weeks ago, so I'll try to find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cutest idea ever! I LOVE the pumpkin one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you made these! They're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Julie! Thanks so much again for the scarf, I think in retrospect I definitely wear it much more than I would have worn a yellow one. It's so warm and cozy too. They're all beautiful, I'm so impressed that you have time to knit with everything else you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, think you ROCK and that it's amazing that you have so much time to knit. Alternatively, you are the fastest knitter (and crocheter) I have ever seen! Keep it up - you're motivating me to pick up the needles again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scarves!

    May I ask what is the stitch that you used for Geeka's scarf called?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, your tendency to be talented at everything you do astounds me, and I wish that I could be motivated to have hobbies while in my own Ph.D. program but it seems I only want to relax and be lazy when I'm not in the middle of doctoral chaos! Kudos to you; your foods and scarves and everything else you do are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly - It's funny you comment on speed, because most of the time I feel like I am such a slow knitter! I think it's just persistence -- it's how I relax at the end of the day, so I try to always spend 15 or 20 minutes working on projects at night.

    Anon -- I don't think the stitch itself has a name, but the pattern is entitled "Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks."

    Danielle -- For me, it is how I relax and be "lazy" at the end of the day. If there's an hour of TV I want to watch, I can't do it anymore without a pair of knitting needles in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been meaning and meaning and meaning to let you know how much I love my scarf. It has kept me warm during this cold winter (doesn't matter how south I am, it has been bitter cold and we have had snow).

    here's a photo -- it looks great with my winter coat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Profgrrrrl - I am so glad to hear that you like the scarf and have been wearing it! I was hoping it wouldn't be a silly gift if it was too warm year-round!

    ReplyDelete