I’m not a fan of Daylight Savings Time to begin with… I think it’s a bit outdated. After all, most of us are not farmers and do have electricity, so the need to push back the time in the fall to gain light an hour earlier isn’t the necessity of years past. And as much as everyone enjoys gaining an hour in the fall, springing forward is a real pain.
I don’t think the government is going to go along with my elimination of DST, so I have a suggestion.
How about, instead of 2am Sunday morning, we end DST at 10am Monday morning?
We assemble into lab meeting and start discussing general lab business. At 9:59, the person presenting for the meeting stands up to talk, opens their powerpoint presentation… and suddenly it becomes 11:00am. Lab meeting over, everyone dismissed.
I wouldn’t mind if that hour disappeared from my life…
I've decided I dislike falling back much more than springing forward. I get so excited to see the sun out in the evenings for an extra hour when DST starts, while falling back means earlier sunsets and dragging from too much sleep the first few days. Of course, I really wish the government would just decide to stay at DST or have no DST at all - the switching back and forth twice a year throws everything off for a week or two. And it's completely obsolete...
ReplyDeleteha! Totally agree, both with it being outdated, and with making it on Monday morning.. only my request would be for 8:30 am, just in time to skip my lab meeting :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard a couple other theories of why it's still in place: environmental reasons (something about the daylight hours being shifted so we use less electricity) and commercial reasons (apparently people like to shop when it's dark out - hence moving it back in the Fall when the holiday season is coming). Not sure how real these are though.
ReplyDeleteI think you're idea to make it at 10am on a Monday would be great! Even if you don't have a lab meeting then, at least the work day is shorter for everyone!!
(Ugh - you're = your :P)
ReplyDeleteWHERE IS THE HECK YES/LOVE BUTTON?!?!
ReplyDelete