Several weeks ago, I received what may very well have been the sweetest, most adorable request ever. So sweet and caring that it is enough to pull me out of my current blogging/reading blogs/Twitter break (things are just a little overwhelming right now, and I need some time away).
The email came from BethAnn, whose snarky science alone is almost enough to make me want to move to Nashville and switch to neuroscience research…. almost. I may as well go down and join the lab, considering the number of times I have found myself on their lab webpage (first for the football bet, then again when she posted a shameful picture of me forced into an Eagles jersey, and now once again for my dismal performance in the NCAA tournament pool). In fact, BethAnn has informed me that I have quite a few readers from her department… so special shout out to anyone from Vanderbilt neurology!
So, back to this email. BethAnn has two adorable children, one of whom very recently turned 7. Amelia and her brother, Colin, are both running in the Shade Tree Trot on May 1st, a 5K for the Shade Tree Clinic, a Vanderbilt run free clinic for the uninsured. In lieu of presents, Amelia asked her family to donate money to the clinic. Is that not the sweetest, most un-selfish thing you have ever heard? I know when I was 7 (and uh, 17, and possibly again when I turn 27 and am in dire need of monetary gift funds towards a new laptop...) I would not have thought to ask for donations to a charity instead of receiving birthday presents.
Amelia and Colin have decided that if everyone they know will contribute $2 to either or both of their sponsor pages, the clinic will thrive and they will play a role in helping to save the world.
Let’s think about this for a moment. Two children, who are running a 5K (and how many of you adults out there struggle with running a 5K? I know I’m not the only one…), want to make a difference by asking everyone to donate a mere $2 to a great cause. Two dollars.
So please, help Amelia and Colin meet their goal, and consider donating $2 to one or both of their collections (or certainly, more than $2!), and help show children that they CAN make a difference, and we will help them along the way.
Donation pages located here – Amelia and Colin.
To make your donation even sweeter, I am going to ship off homemade cookies to two of you who donate (regardless of amount of donation). Donate to one, get one entry. Donate to both, get two entries. After you have made your donation, comment and let me know. I’m working off the honor system here, because if you lie over donating a mere $2 to help support two kids running for a great cause… well, shame on you. I know none of MY readers would do such a thing. (Note: cookie shipments valid for U.S. addresses only, due to shipping costs.)
Count me in for $5 a piece! They are such great kids!
ReplyDeleteOMG - what a great ad. I'm sending it to everybody. You are the bomb!! Oh, and now my kids want to contribute to their own cause to score cookies!!
ReplyDeleteJulie, I tried to contact you through your wedding page, but it didn't really work. I would like to talk to you about the Philadelphia theme you did for your reception. I am doing that theme too and really liked what you did! I would really appreciate it if you would email me at soccerJLP@hotmail.com Thank you!
ReplyDeleteJess
That's really sweet. When I was seven, 17 or 27... well :o Must be two really great kids!
ReplyDeleteWow, BethAnn has done a great job raising those two!
ReplyDeleteDonating to both now! What great kids. :)
ReplyDelete