Monday, May 17, 2010

Disgruntled Julie: A True Hero

This evening, I was just minding my own business at home when I heard a blood-curdling shriek come from across the hall, causing me to immediately jump up and make sure everyone was okay.

(Weeeellll…. kind of.  I had just finished elliptical-ing, and one of the big benefits to owning your own elliptical is that no one sees you while you work out, so first I had to put on a shirt, and then I cracked my door open a few millimeters to stick out an eyeball to make sure the screams weren’t because an axe murderer was lurking in my building.  Then I tentatively took the few steps across the hall, leaving my door open and my body pointing back towards my door, in the event said axe murderer answered, in hopes that I’d be able to bolt back to the safety of my own unit and slam the door in his face.)

My across-the-hall neighbor opened the door, pale and shaking.  “Oh (gasp) my (pant) G-d (pant, gasp) it’s (pant, pant, gasp)…. a (pant, pant, gasp)… (pant, pant, gasp, pant, building up the suspense….) MOUSE!”

Dun DA DUN!  SCIENTIST TO THE RESCUE!

I cornered the mouse, trapped him on a dustpan, and picked him up by the tail to carry him outside where he scampered off to freedom (and by scampered to freedom, I probably mean someone else’s apartment, where he may meet his ultimate demise via a mousetrap).

On my way out, my neighbor caught her breath enough to tell me that I was her hero.

That’s right.  Disgruntled Julie: Saving Single DC Women from Eenie, Weenie Terrifying Mice.

Well, at least one technique from the lab is useful in a real world setting.

image(I really don’t understand why people are so terrified of mice.  Does she look vicious?)

11 comments:

  1. LOL! What a great story :) Yay for being a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha. Despite handling mice every day in lab, if I saw one in my home, I would still freak out. You really are a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. I worked in a lab once where a mouse got on the floor. The other girls in the lab, who work with mice EVERY DAY, immediately started screaming and jumping on chairs. It's all in context, I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Red eyes aside, this mouse is just so darn CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it matters how many lab rats I come across, the one in my kitchen would be a whole different story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is great! I love too that you let the mouse outside :) SUPER HERO JULIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are super speedy! There was a mouse in my house once, but it was too fast to catch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a physics teacher once who was scared of mice. He thought one was in the classroom once and freaked but it turned out to be just a cockroach. I never did understand why people get afraid of them, they must be one of the most harmless animals in existence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ran onto your blog from blue-eyed bride's and this is the first post I saw! Reminds me of my days when I was 9 months pregnant and working in the lab and a mouse escaped...imagine me on the floor trying to chase it down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new. Found you through Mrs. Potts.
    I really liked your comment/story about your friend and the wedding and then call her afterwards to have her talk about her child the entire time.
    This has happened to me on several occassions. It hurts..I just don't understand some people sometimes..
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant story :)
    I wonder what real-life use my lab skills have...

    ReplyDelete