After a stressful, frustrating, disappointing day in lab, I am thankful for the calm stirring of a thick chocolate peanut butter batter, frustration melting away with each stroke, while the stand mixer sits in the corner, unplugged and ignored.
After a stressful, frustrating, disappointing day in lab, I am thankful for the sheer childlike delight at piping peanut butter frosting on top of fluffy domed cupcakes, a smile slowly spreading across my face as the frosting perfectly envelopes each cupcake.
After a stressful, frustrating, disappointing day in lab, I am thankful for the relaxing task of a sink full of dishes, my brain slowly shutting down with each repetitive swirl of the soapy sponge around and around and around the plate, realizing that I don't care if the dishwasher is ever repaired.
For a brief moment, there is peace, until the ding of an email from my boss instantly drags me back down into unhappiness. And all has returned back to normal.
Amen. It's all about working with the hands - I like building furniture with no power tools, but the same principle applies. Creating with the hands is powerful therapy. And you get to eat yours, too!
ReplyDeletewhat is ur research all bout?
ReplyDeletehow does it help in findin a better cure for cancer?
Hi, Im a new follower, I found you on twitter first and I love your blog! Just wanted to say hello
ReplyDeleteMy evenings are similar. Except that I don't have internet at home -- and when reading posts like yours, I know why. (I do miss it on other occasions, of course.)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I thought that handwork is so important to me because all my lab work is computational, but maybe this is not the reason after all...
I love how everyone has a different outlet for relieving stress. You like to cook and wash dishes like my fiance. But for me things like that stress me out. I'd rather go for a run or have a nice dinner without my phone to bother me... I love you blog btw. I'm glad I found it.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're back - and I LOVE the new layout! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE it!! And I've missed you :)
ReplyDelete