Sunday, January 09, 2011

Taco Soup

Even though I have hundreds (maybe not hundredS, but at least a hundred) recipes and photos waiting, I'm starting back up with something I made right now, and am enjoying while I write this out. One of the things I miss the most since I've moved is the "huge" (by inner-city 690-square food condo standards) pantry next to the kitchen. Now, I have a small kitchen with minimal storage, and I have to share it all with another person. Gone are the days of keeping a stocked pantry; I really have to grocery shop every few days now (carrying a gallon of milk uphill a mile totally counts as a workout, right?).

IMG_7504wtmk-full

The last time Husband was down and I was able to grocery shop with his car, I noticed my cabinet was a little over-stuffed, so I've decided it's time to clear out the contents -- random cans leftover from something I decided not to make, jar of sauce leftover from a rare Costco trip, etc. Surveying the contents today, I discovered multiple cans of black beans and diced tomatoes. Ah-ha: taco soup time! And made even tastier with a few leftover tortilla scoops from our New Year's Eve party!

Taco Soup
(an original Sugar Scientist kitchen experiment)

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds soy crumbles or ground beef
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 jalapenos, chopped
  • 4 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or 2 packets)
  • 12 ounces beer of choice (I used Abita Pecan Harvest Ale)

Directions:

  1. If using beef, cook in skillet until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a large Dutch oven or stockpot. If using soy crumbles, just add frozen crumbles directly to stockpot.
  2. Add onions to ground beef/soy crumbles and cook over medium heat until onions begin to brown.
  3. Add red pepper, tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, corn, and jalapenos. Stir in taco seasoning. Pour beer into stockpot and stir gently.
  4. Simmer soup over low heat for one hour. Partway through cooking, mash soup with a potato masher to thicken the soup.
  5. Garnish with favorite taco toppings -- tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc.


6 comments:

  1. Mmh, that looks great, especially for this cold weather...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beer addition! Do you have any more recipes that include beer? I'm a homebrewer, and would love to use it as an ingredient too! New to blogging(http://acceptedwithrevisions.blogspot.com/)and enjoy reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Hubby's on a soup kick right now - must be the weather. This might have to be the next one we try out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julie.
    I'm going to try this- looks easy.
    How about a version with chicken and white beans?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss(ing) PhD: I do have other beer recipes! I'll be sure to post more in the near future. I would LOVE to get into homebrewing in the future!

    Jade: I don't eat chicken, so I'm probably not the best judge, but I don't see why it wouldn't work out. You could even use ground chicken to maintain the same texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I will definitely be making this on a cold winter night :)

    ReplyDelete