For both undergrad and graduate school, I chose a national, private university. As a result, the friends I made came from across the country and stretched to all corners of the globe. This, in my mind, was one of the huge perks of attending a national university rather than a state or regional school, but because all my friends are from all over the country, I do not have any Steelers friends here in D.C. Instead, my friends (comprised of 2 Eagles fans, 2 Patriots fans, 1 Redskins fan, 1 Giants fan, 1 Packers fan, and 5 individuals who think a quarterback pocket is where he stuffs a playbook in between passes) came for one reason and one reason only: to eat. I don’t think they were disappointed.
Unfortunately, because I only have one oven, I wasn’t able to take pictures of what I made. I prepped everything beforehand during the day, but once the party started, it was just a constant stream of putting something in the oven, taking it out, serving it, putting the next thing in, etc. The following night I literally had an amazing fantasy dream in which I was picking out a second convection oven for my kitchen. Some women have hot, steamy dreams of men with 6-packs… I have steamy dreams about second convection ovens. Analyze away.
If you attended MY Superbowl party, you would have been served:
- buffalo wings served with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks
- buffalo chicken dip
- bean dip
- spinach and artichoke dip
- macaroni and cheese
- brie and crackers
- beef “pigs” in a blanket
- pizza bites
- PhizzleDizzle’s bacon wrapped heart attack
- Steelers decorated chocolate cupcakes
- Nilla wafer banana pudding
- chocolate mousse
- and… the ultimate, edible snack stadium
The Ultimate, Edible Snack Stadium. Field: guacamole with sour cream yard markers. Steelers endzone: queso dip. Cardinals endzone: salsa. Players: beef lil’smokies sausages (at one point during the evening, they were all wearing Tostitos Scoops helmets). Goal posts: slim-jims. Stadium seats: mozzarella sticks. Fans: Tostitos and cheetos. Stadium walls: rice krispie treats.
And, almost the entire stadium was consumed by the end of the night. Have I mentioned that many of my friends are large, hungry men?
When I told PhizzleDizzle that I was going to make her self-proclaimed “Best Snack Ever” for the party, she told me I had to take a picture. I’ve already told her the story behind the magic bacon log, but literally immediately after I pulled it out of the oven, all rolled and full of melty cheese and set it down on the table, Harrison caught the interception and ran for a 100-yard defensive touchdown. While I was jumping up and down like a maniac, the menfolk behind me were devouring the bacon log. By the time I turned around to grab a picture, this was all that was left. Needless to say, it was quite the hit.
If anyone is interested in any recipes for anything I made, let me know, and I’d be happy to pass them along!
So, who’s coming to my house the next time the Steelers are in the Superbowl?
I'd like to extend an invite to um, well, myself :) Wow Julie, you outdid yourself! It all looks unhealthy, fattening and (of course) delicious!
ReplyDeleteLove love love the snack stadium! I always want to make pretty or cute or cool looking food, but it takes me so much time to prep the actual ingredients that I always give up and just plop it in a bowl and call it good.
ReplyDeleteOkay, that stadium is just awesome! Can I steal it for college football season? I can see that the dips are in a pan, but what is reigning in the rest of the stadium?
ReplyDeleteWOW!!!!!!!! That Edible Field is the coolest thing I ahve ever seen. We could be real good friends, methinks. I *love* Super Bowl Food :).
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome. I second that stadium. I definitely need it for college football season this fall.
ReplyDeleteYou're an amazing hostess!
ReplyDeleteThat's a pretty amazing stadium. I'm impressed with your creativity!
ReplyDeleteI think my husband found that bacon log recipe and wanted to make it. I vetoed it (lol the mean wife I am :P) because I think it's WAAY too much for just one or two people. But if he invited friends over for a bacon log, that fine with me!
You are amazingly creative with food; the stadium looks fantastic. I'm curious, though, about using rice krispie treats for the outer walls when everything else in the stadium had a decidedly savory slant. I like to keep my sweet and savory foods well separated - were the RKT tasting a bit salty by the end?
ReplyDeleteMmm...rice krispie treats. I must find a way to make them without using a bag of marshmallows. Maybe I can make my own marshmallows somehow, and then use them to make the RKT?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe food makes me want to follow the Superbowl!
ReplyDeleteI am one of the playbook in the pocket people. I'm not even sure I understand what I wrote there. But I know I want some of that food!
And Tag!
ReplyDeleteI stumbled on your blog while surfing through academic blogs, and that stadium made me sit and stare for several minutes. Wow. That is a beautiful thing!
ReplyDeleteUm, ME! Everything looks DELICIOUS!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the compliments, everyone! You are all invited to my house for the next Steelers Superbowl event! :)
ReplyDeleteJenna - Actually, this only took me about an hour to build. I thought it would take a LOT longer. Planning was the longest part, but the construction came together really quickly.
UR - The dips are on a cookie sheet, and the rest of the stadium is free standing, just on a table (on some aluminum foil, for sanitary reasons). The mozzarella sticks are on the table on the inside, and the rice krispie treats were made in one long pan, so they were cut the width and length of the stadium, and they are just sitting on the table as well.
Kelly - I don't eat marshmallows (the whole vegetarian thing, so I don't eat gelatin), so I make my rice krispie treats with homemade marshamallow fluff. For the RK treats, 3 tablespoons butter, 6 cups rice krispies, 7 ounces (ish, I don't have a food scale) marshamallow fluff. For the marshmallow fluff, 3 egg whites, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups light corn syrup, 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla extract. Beat egg whites, salt, and corm syrup for 10 minutes on high, then slowly beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until blended. Store excess in freezer.