Since Bill Cosby was born and raised in Philadelphia, my husband immediately jumped on The Cosby Show bandwagon as a child (I don’t understand the instant appeal, but somehow, if it has anything to do with Philadelphia, no matter what it is, it automatically means that it is amazing and wonderful and fantastic according to my husband). I’m not entirely sure under what rock I was hiding between the years 1984 (okay fine, I was a mere 6 months old when the show first aired) through 1992, but I never once saw a single episode throughout my entire childhood, a fact which appalls my husband. Feeling the need to remedy this situation, every time I am home between the hours of 4pm – 5pm from now on, he ties me down to the couch, and forces me to watch reruns on our local WGN station.
As I’ve been home sick with a high fever all week, and my husband is working 10 hour block ER shifts which currently happen to leave him at home in mid-afternoon (thus meaning he is around to play King of the Remote at 4pm), it’s been 4:00 Cosby Hour all week. Today, while rolling my eyes at some situation (or perhaps at Dr. Huxtable’s ridiculous sweater-of-the-day), Husband told me I shouldn’t make fun of someone who had worked just as hard as me educationally, since Bill Cosby has a Ph.D.
I tried to call him out on this, because I had heard that Bill Cosby had failed out of high school. A Google-search revealed that he actually has his Ed.D., and the title of his thesis was:
An Integration of the Visual Media Via "Fat Albert And The Cosby Kids" Into the Elementary School Curriculum as a Teaching Aid and Vehicle to Achieve Increased Learning
Yes, Husband, yes. I am quite sure that Dr. Cosby has worked every bit as hard as I have in his educational pursuits. Now, how can I work my week of laying on the couch watching The Cosby Show into my dissertation?
Don't be dissing Cosby, I have no idea how you managed to never watch an episode. HE ROCKS.
ReplyDeletePlus just because its not science, doesn't mean it was not a challenge for him.
Oh, I never meant to imply that it was not a challenge! I just thought it was ironic that my husband was all -Cosby has a Ph.D.- and then it turns out that it was based on an analysis of The Cosby Show IN WHICH HE STARRED which means he actually, you know, got to go back and watch The Cosby Show and Fat Albert for part of the dissertation, which sounds way more entertaining and fun (and slightly less rip your hair out frustrating) than trying to figure out why my @*$# protein won't stay in solution during dialysis. But never meant to imply that it wasn't a challenge -- or an impressive feat for him to acquire such a degree.
ReplyDeleteLOOOL.. there is an ~8 yr gap in age btw my husband and me, and the fact that we grew up on different continents, so our beloved childhood shows vary greatly. He has tried to get me to love his shows but thankfully, I can claim the language barrier as not being able to appreciate those "awesome" shows :)
ReplyDeleteI've never watched Cosby either, nor can I understand his appeal. It just seems silly to me. But there are die hard fans out there, so I ain't sayin' nothing :D
N LOOOL @ Cosby's PhD being an equivalent to yours. I think any PhD earned 20+ years prior can not be comparable to the endless hell we currently endure. Not to mention that a PhD in the sciences is waaaaaaaaaay more demanding (and more I-want-to-kill-myself inducing) than others, just because of the workload and type of work involved
I loved The Cosby Show!! It's definitely one show that takes me back to my childhood, although I doubt I'd feel such love for it if I I saw it now (same with other shows from that era like Night Rider, Airwolf, Different Strokes, etc.). I didn't realize that he had a PhD - that's awesome!
ReplyDeleteI do love the Cosby Show. My affinity for it, I think, stems from it being one of the few shows I was allowed to watch as a kid. My mom had strange ideas about things that were ok to watch (then again, she wouldn't let me watch Pee Wee Herman... so maybe that was good judgement).
ReplyDeleteOh how I do love Cosby!
ReplyDeleteI have never been able to figure out what people who get a PhD in the liberal arts really do all day. I guess reading papers and what not but without the lab work I'd think they'd have oodles of time to kill.
ReplyDeleteReminds me of my undergrad days when I got to hear someone who had no labs whine about the horrors of taking 16 hours. Yeah try having 4 labs each lasting 3 hours that are only worth 1 credit hour.
I freakin love the cosby show. LOVE. MCH, these days I can't really bear to watch Family Matters or Full House or anything like that anymore, I'm just like, man, that was dumb.
ReplyDeleteBut I can still watch Cosby. And love it. Just last week, I thought, I am going to make my children watch this show. Best. Show. Ever.
Yes I can see the difference between having to get a protein to stay in solution vs getting to watch fat albert or the cosby show. Though that is alot of watching and critiquing your own skills. I'm not sure I could watch myself do that.
ReplyDeleteLike PD - I could watch cosby for ever!
I loved Cosby when I was a kid. My TiVo recently started picking up some reruns of it, and I watched a few to unwind. And I gotta say, it felt nostalgic, but it wasn't as good as I remember. Too bad....
ReplyDeleteHaha, that is TOO awesome.
ReplyDeleteLove the Cosby show. I'll give Bill that his degree was probably hard, but not that he slaved his life away in a lab for years.
ReplyDeleteJulie 1, Cosby 0
Loved it as a kid but haven't watched it in years. That one where Rudy uses the new juicer and gets the kitchen filthy is a classic!
ReplyDeleteI was old enough to watch the Cosby show as a child, although I don't remember the early seasons too much. Anyway, I remember loving it back then, but when I watch it now, it doesn't seem nearly as entertaining. Maybe it's those damn sweaters. They distract me from the plot...you know how is Cliff going to sneak away and eat the meatball sandwich or whatever.
ReplyDeleteNow why wasn't I smart enough to base my thesis on TV? That would have been GREAT!
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to know how to make this. Thanks!!!
ReplyDelete