Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Laboratory Reproduction

There is something mysteriously fertile about my lab.   In the four years in which I have been in the lab, three babies have been born, and we are not a particularly large lab by many standards.  I do not know the status of one, one was a completely unplanned surprise, and one was a truly sought-after “miracle” baby in which the couple had tried for quite some time for a child and had been discussing adoption as an alternative when they discovered they were pregnant (see? mysterious chemical in the air to aid with fertility!).  On one hand, this ability to magically impregnate anybody could be quite useful as I know I will have quite a difficult time when Husband and I do decide to have children.  On the other hand, having a child by myself while working a bazillion hours a week towards my Ph.D. with a husband living 3 hours away in a residency program sounds less than ideal.  That said, my mother-in-law has so generously offered to move down here to D.C. and live with me to take care of any children we may have, while my husband remains up in Philly.  Hmm, raising a child with my MIL instead of living with my husband?  I think I’ll take my chances and wait for children until AFTER I’m done with graduate school and have moved up to Philadelphia, thankyouvermuch.

That said, last month the lab had a baby shower for the post-doc who most recently gave birth just this week to the newest lab baby, who made his appearance a full month early.  Thankfully, it sounds like both mother and son are doing well, though the wee one has quite a few pounds to gain since he came into the world sooner than expected.  As as become my tradition for everyone I know, I crocheted a baby blanket as a gift for the parents-to-be.

IMG_1351_crop[5]wtmk

I have to confess that I was a little nervous – in the past, I’ve always gifted blankets to extremely close friends or family members; the kind of individuals who would naturally appreciate something handmade, just because of how close they were to me, regardless of the actual gift itself.  I’ve also always had to mail out the blanket since they’ve always been sent to a friend far away, so I’ve never had to be there to see someone open it and perhaps see the look on their face if they were disappointed with it – this was my first “live reveal”, and in front of quite a number of people to boot, including both the PIs of the lab.  Honestly, a little part of me was wondering if they would think that if I had time to be crocheting blankets, then clearly I wasn’t spending enough time in the lab, and needed to be working harder.

IMG_1357_thumb[3]wtmk

I had nothing to worry about.  The blanket wound up being a huge hit at the shower – in fact, it even inspired my PIs wife to run upstairs and pull out the baby quilts that friends had made for her children and she had hung on to, and she went on and on about how meaningful handmade gifts are and how she would never be able to get rid of them because they were so special since someone made them specifically for her children.  The post-doc loved it, especially since I make my baby blankets super-sized (this one was 4’ by 4’) so it will be big enough for both her and her son to fit under together for years to come in the winter.  The women in attendance all marveled at my craftiness and discussed how their mothers/grandmothers/other relatives knew how to knit or crochet and they wished they knew how, and the men all sympathetically asked if Husband wound up having to spend a lot of time driving me to craft stores (fortunately for him, he doesn’t; I order most of my yarn online).  And as for my PI; well, he didn’t even notice that I made a baby blanket.  He was so busy playing with the son of a former graduate student in the lab that he saw the blanket out of the corner of his eye and thought that I bought it, and missed the 20 minutes of conversation that followed about the fact that I made it.  Apparently, his wife continued to discuss the blanket later that night though, which was when he realized that it was handmade, and the next day in lab he pulled me aside to state that he was so impressed that I have so many hidden talents and am able to lead such a balanced life.  As Husband loves to describe me… jack of all trades, but master of absolutely nothing useful whatsoever.

But now, for the first time in 3 years, I have no friends or family members who are pregnant, so my baby blanket sweat shop has come to a temporary close until I get word from the stork that there will be a delivery on the way.  In the meantime, I guess that means it is time that I get busy making something for the recipients of my crafty giveaway!

25 comments:

  1. Very cute. So funny too, the fertile thing. One job I had, almost everyone who worked for me wound up getting pregnant, at least as a family. And two of these were people who were in fertility treatments or had even quit the treatments and already adopted. I felt like I ought to advertise, except the company was an absolutely horrible place otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're the master of EVERYTHING useful, but that's just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented! WOW!

    We have the same misterious pregnancy thing going on in our lab!
    4 Babies in the last months and now 2 more in the making (that I know of)
    weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! I can knit, but never learned how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that blanket is gorgeous!! I just starting knitting this year, and would love to learn how to crochet too. Perhaps after I finish my thesis :)

    And yay for your PI giving you props on living a balanced life! That's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is really crafty and beautiful! Despite what you think, I think you have major skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why you were anxious over how it'd be received. Of course your coworker would love it! It's spectacular work! I'm very impressed by your craftiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a gorgeous blanket!! it must have taken hours to crochet! that's so cool that your PI took the time the next day to tell you he was impressed. also i still have my hand crocheted baby blanket given to me by by great aunt. so yours are appreciated more than you'll ever really know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blanket! I can knit and crochet, but I just don't have the patience to complete any project! I think any mother would be thrilled to get a blanket like that from you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely blanket. My lab mate made us a crocheted blanket for our wedding that I love. I never really picked up any knitting or sewing stuff as thread/yarn and I do not get along.

    But the painting stuff is coming along quite nicely. It seems like people who spend their days doing science left brain stuff need to break out of that rut in their spare time and do something creative before they start labeling tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (laughing) I LOVE that blanket! I just went to Ravelry to see if you'd put it in there, and lo and behold, you're even online right now. :) You are an amazing crocheter, and I've crocheted a few baby blankets myself so I know what I'm talking about.

    When I saw the first picture of the blanket, I had some idea in my head that it was a 96-well plate with different colored solutions in it.

    I am one of nine women in our company site of about 200 who were pregnant at the same time. Most of us still stay in touch and have weekly coffee meetups. I think there's definitely something to the idea that fertility spreads - maybe in a similar way to the synchronization of menstrual cycles between women who are in close contact (and not on the pill etc)?

    Don't be too worried about PIs thinking you have too much time on your hands if you can craft. When I worked on my master's, I often crocheted in the lab while waiting for gels to run etc. I always wanted to get more crafting done during my PhD. Good for you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenna - I thought about an Etsy shop, but I don't know if there's really a market. Do people buy crocheted blankets to give as a gift, if it's not something they made themselves?

    LPC - How fortunate for everyone who was looking to get pregnant, but sounds like a terrible place to work! Thought I suppose it could be worth it, if you were really desperate...

    Amy - I think my husband defines "useful" in his particular contact as something which generates us income, yields something in which he has an interest, or gets me closer towards graduation. Thus far, I have failed miserably at all attempts. But thank you for your extremely generous compliment - it's quite flattering to think that something thinks that I am a master of something useful, let alone "everything"!

    Busylizzy - So many babies! It kind of scares me because I am next in line apparently -- the only married person without children. But, with my husband living in a different state, I think that will get me off the hook!

    Thanks, Jenn PhD!

    Mrs. CH - I learned to knit from my grandmother when I was 4, but I taught myself to crochet later on on life. I think it was easier for me to pick up since I already knew how to knit, so I'm sure you'll be able to do it, too!

    Sherry - Years of never being good enough for my mother, perhaps? Plus, Husband wasn't a fan of the colors (too bright for his tastes) so he made one comment that he liked the pattern but would never want the colors for his baby, and even though I know that the post-doc loves bright colors, it made me nervous that what if she found the inappropriate as well for a baby?

    Quite&Small - My mother also still has my baby blanket, a quilt with a big hippo on it and big bubble letters quilted on stating "I Love You More than Chocolate Itself", which was perfect for my mother, since she is a HUGE chocolaholic!

    Jennifer - I was like that when I was much younger, but at some point when I was in undergrad, it just clicked. I LOVE craft projects because they actually END, unlike everything in the lab. Even if one experiment completes, it just leads to more, and more, and more... but with a blanket, I can finish it, mail it off... and never have to think about it again!

    Blablover - I do love doing something creative at home. And cooking. My PI and I have discussed how the reason I am probably fairly good in the kitchen is because of my chemistry training -- protein purification is exactly like cooking; do the same thing again and again, just tweak one or two little things and see what happens and if it makes it better or worse!

    Kelly - The pattern was super easy, once I switched from Australian to US crochet terms (never realized there was a difference for you weirdos down under!). This was probably my favorite pattern I've made, and it worked up SO QUICKLY. I still can't bring myself to actually work in the lab though -- once when I was stuck doing CD overnight, I had a scarf I was knitting with me, and it was probably 6 or so in the morning and I was still working on it and the other PI (not mine, who made the comment) walked in and gave me this "What the hell is that and why is it happening in the lab?" look... and that scared me off from ever bringing knitting into the lab again, even during "off" hours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That blanket is gorgeous! Is the pattern for it online by any chance? I'm actually looking for a pattern for a baby blanket for a friend of mine - but most of the patterns I'm finding look like they're for old ladies istead of little babies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is absolutely beautiful! I don't think you can go wrong with hand made stuff for a baby. A postdoc in my first PhD lab knit monkey a blanket and I absolutely love it. People are always shocked by how much I love it, b/c its not the most "pretty" blanket (she was just learning to knit), but she put so much thought and love into it that its means so much to me. I truly treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented! I already covet all of your delicious cooking and now... I want a blanket! I wonder if I can absorb some of your skills just by reading this blog?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty -- I had already admired it on Ravelry. I love crafting for the same reason you do, the projects actually get finished at some point. And because I love yarn and fabric ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HaHa-- I also thought it was a 96-well plate, too! HAHAHA! (wait...actually, that's not funny at all. I really need a vacation.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. EB, that is really, really, really beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That blanket is so beautiful!! It makes me want to take up crochet...but I have enough hobbies that I neglect as is :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nerd - Are you a member of Ravelry? If so, you can find all the info, along with pattern information, here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/julieulie/the-wool-eater-blanket If you're not a member of Ravelry but you're a crocheter/knitter, you should join! Alternatively, send me an email and I'd be happy to pass along pattern information.

    SM - I'm glad to hear how much you treasure the blanket; I hope that my postdoc feels the same way about the blanket that I made for her son!

    Julie - Blog osmosis, perhaps?

    Amelie - I enjoy that science blogging is colliding with Ravelery!

    UR - I didn't see the 96 well plate thing at ALL when Kelly mentioned it, but I think it's because I was working on it as a whole and not just through a finished picture. Either that, or because I really DO spend a lot of time working with 96 well plates with wells of varying colors of fluorescent dyes, I only see things how they really are, and have no room for a creative take on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would totally buy one of these to give as a gift, or for myself when I need it someday!!

    I CAN crochet and COULD make one for someone, but that doesn't mean I have the patience to do it as beautifully as this!! Mine would look all crooked and crappy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello .. I have never seen a smart articles that you created. It really helped me to get back my ideas for writing. I will save this post, for I learn more.

    ReplyDelete