By 9:15am, I have already successfully managed to trip and fall sprawled out, face first in a bucket of ice. It's going to be an awesome day.
(For those wondering how I managed that amazing feat, someone stole the scooper thing from the ice machine. Seriously, who does that? What could anyone possibly NEED a GIANT ice scoop for so badly that they have to STEAL one from the research building? Anyway, I had to dig out ice with my bare hands, and the ice was really packed, so I had to actually kneel down to try and reach all the way in the back of the ice machine to find some non-compacted ice. After filling my ice bucket, I tried to stand up, and my heel caught in the hole of the rubbery honeycomb mat thingie that is under the ice machine to prevent people from slipping on pooled water. And, naturally, as my heel got caught, I went flying foward and managed to land with my chin IN the ice bucket and my shoe stuck in the mat. Thankfully, it was still early enough that nobody was around to witness my extraordinary grace. Oh, and in case you were wondering -- no, I will not learn from this experience to not wear heels to lab. What's the point of a closet full of fabulous shoes if you're never going to wear them?!)
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ouch! I hope you didn't cut your face. I wear heels to work a lot now, too. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi! I found your blog through A Lady Scientist.
ReplyDeletePeople in my building don't steal the giant ice scoop. They simply leave it in the ice machine so that it eventually becomes completely buried under the ice and the only way to retrieve it is to shut the machine down and wait for the ice to melt!
We all have our moments of grace. Who designed the mat anyway if your heel could be caught in it?
ReplyDeleteOuch!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a grad student I slipped on a lettuce leaf that someone had dropped outside our lab (undergrad practical class requiring 500 lettuce leaves daily for a week... lettuce leaves kept turning up all over the building) and grabbed at the wall as I fell and managed to set off a fire extinguisher. As I lay there being sprayed with foam my advisor came past. Sigh.