your protein precipitates.
The protein precipitation doesn't happen in the overnight step, so you can show up first thing in the lab at 4:30am, pull out the cuvette to switch it to the new buffer, see the precipitate, acknowledge that the experiment isn't going to happen, say screw it, and go back to bed. It doesn't happen at the next step at 5:30am either, when you will still justify walking back home and crawling into bed. No, no. It waits until 7:00. After you've already washed out the appropriate pathlength cell with SDS and NaOH to make sure it's all super clean and shiny and ready to go. And you've prepared all your standards, and prepped the small molecule in EtOH (no DMSO for CD experiments!) and then diluted it down in buffer to appropriate concentrations, and have everything on ice and all set, and all you have to do is add the protein once it's out of dialysis and you measure the protein concentration. And 7:00 rolls around and you go to pull out the dialysis cuvette and... wait, what's this? What are all these little white specks floating around that weren't there an hour and a half ago? Why, it's my protein, which decided to crash out just now, even though I've done this same dialysis procedure multiple times before without problems.
And thus, tomorrow, I get to try this all over again. Things like this -- the fact that I work with a protein that has to be purified fresh every 4 days, which requires a somewhat complicated dialysis procedure (which apparently no longer works), which cannot be concentrated AT ALL, which hates to be refolded -- this is why it is going to take me approximately 12 years to complete my Ph.D.
I'd be so pissed. I hope that you were able to go back and get some sleep. Or at least take a little break! (Then, knowing you, you can go back in.)
ReplyDeleteUgh, no, I'm still here. I had physical therapy at 9, so there was no point in going home to go back to sleep. And then I stuck another fraction in to dialyze it to see if I could get the dialysis done during the day, and when I came back, it precipitated during the first step, so I was *really* pissed (and confused) so now I'll be here all day trying to sort this crap out and doing my little protein dance.
ReplyDeleteIt's moments like this that makes me glad I switched from biochem to psychology...
ReplyDelete