Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Phillies Win! Husband Loses!

Tonight, the Philadelphia Phillies won only their second World Series in 125 years, ending the Philadelphia championship drought. The whole "we've gone the longest in consecutive sports seasons without a championship" whine never really did much for me, since for the most part, I dislike Philadelphia sports fans, but over the 7 years I've been with my husband, I've definitely developed a soft spot in my heart for the Phillies. My grandfather need not worry, I was born into a Yankees family, and will die a fan, but there's no reason why I can't support a National League team as well. And if I'm going to be forced to live out the majority of years of my life in Philadelphia, I may as well like ONE of the teams there... and well, my father instilled in me a loathing of the Flyers, and while I'm content when the Eagles do well, the people of Philadelphia seem to think there is some ginormous Steelers-Eagles rivalry, and I get booed and cursed at and called all sorts of derogatory things when I wear my Steelers attire, which doesn't do much for me. But the Phillies? The Phillies I like.

And tonight, the Phillies won the World Series. And instead of watching and celebrating with my husband, I watched by myself, because my husband is on night float, meaning he works every night from 7pm-8am. So, apparently, as his new wife, I am missing the Most Important Event in his lifetime, as he phrased it. Because my relatively unemotional husband, who was not overly excited nor shed tears of joy on our wedding day, just called me after watching Brad Lidge throw the final strike of the game, and was in tears.

Tears. Crying. Because watching the Phillies win the World Series was the Most Important Event of his lifetime thus far. I mean, hey, I was neither jumping up and down nor crying at our wedding, but I also don't cry for sporting events. There were no tears when the Steelers won the Superbowl.

And so, dear Husband, if the Phillies winning is the Most Important Event, then let me ask you this: once you are done with night float, and return to your regularly scheduled sleeping schedule, will Cole Hamels be the one keeping you warm at night?

5 comments:

  1. Ha. Feel your pain, boyfriend is a huge U of Michigan fan and it's been a ROUGH season up here. I swear, he gets so emotional!

    Ha, love that final comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he probably doesn't like Cole Hamels *that* much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why can't men keep their emotions in check?? ;)

    I will admit crying when my team won the world series, and when my team won the super bowl (and felt sick for days when they lost). However, never did I tell my hubby that those days were the most significant in my life. I know better, so should your husband.

    Good luck to him when his night floats are over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. So post-win, apparently there was some down time in the hospital, or Husband was blowing off his doctorly duties and leaving his patients floundering in miserly (the more likely story) so he could camp out in the lounge and scour the internets for the Phillies championship stories and see all the pictures online of the craziness in Philly. I caught him on Gchat, and posed my Cole Hamels question... to which he replied...

    "If I'm lucky... I could play with that mullet all night long."

    Methinks I need a new husband, STAT.

    ReplyDelete