In our program, every year each Ph.D. student must present their data in an hour-long talk to the entire department. I always kind of figured this was standard practice in graduate school, though in talking to students in other programs at this university and those at other universities altogether, it seems like the majority never give a talk to the entire department until their thesis defense. Personally, I like the way we do things here – it’s a great way to practice giving talks in front of an audience, keeps everyone abreast of your research, and often results in great suggestions from PIs outside your thesis committee which you may otherwise have never received.
I may, however, feel this way because I have zero problems with standing in front of a room and talking, unlike the standard stereotypical scientist. Plus, even though I generally don’t have much data to share (who wants to look through 500 coomassies that show my inability to purify a particular protein?) the techniques I use are completely different from others in my program, so by default, my talk is always new and interesting, which forces people to pay attention. My program is in cancer biology, rather than biochemistry or pharmacology or structural biology, so we are tied together by the fact that we study cancer, not by the way in which we study cancer. 98% of the program studies cell signaling and knockdown genes in cells and in animals, and while they produce some hot science and generate some pretty cool results, the techniques they use are all same old, same old in so much as we see the same thing every week.
Then I come along, and my results come from surface plasmon resonance and circular dichroism and fluorescence polarization, and I talk about things like molecular modeling with structures from co-crystallization. While nobody would ever stop and explain how to “read” a Western or a Kaplan-Meyer plot, I can’t exactly put up a CD spectra and make a statement about the structure of the protein without taking the time to explain a little about CD, or throw up a graph with polarization that shows that my small molecule displaces a peptide without a few cartoons showing how FP works. That’s what I love about my project – even though it’s taking me a long time to generate worthwhile data, my presentations are always interesting, because I am the black sheep of the program doing something COMPLETELY different than everyone else (all biochemistry/biophysics), and people are interested to learn about what it is that I am doing.
That said, tomorrow I give my once yearly talk, and happen to also be going for the double-whammy and also having a thesis committee meeting (it is not, however, standard to have committee meetings every three months at this university… the program asks for every 6 months, most people aim for once a year, and I obviously pick up their slack by squeezing in extra meetings in the middle). So, as I sit here looking over my slides for tomorrow’s presentations, I find myself unsure what to title my talk.
Should I opt for:
(a) 1001 Ways Not To Purify Protein X
(b) 50 Unsuitable Buffers for Circular Dichroism of Protein Y
(c) Protein X and Protein Y Interact But You Probably Don’t Care, and I Really Don’t Either
or
(d) Protein Y Isn’t Improperly Folded, It’s Simply Structurally Ambivalent
Other suggestions welcome.
Also, since Protein X is a helicase, I think I need to fit this somewhere in my talk:![]()
We had to give one talk a year to our specialty area. I think it was really beneficial, for all the reasons you give. I am shocked when I hear of PhD's or grad students who give their first talk at a conference.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the talk and committee meeting. I have no suggestions for the title but you'll have to tell us what you went for.
I vote for D - but I am biased toward ambivalence.
ReplyDeleteYour work sounds really cool - good luck with your talk.
I also vote for D.
ReplyDeleteWe give a talk every year, too. Two of us go every time, though, so it's only a 20 minute talk with 10 minutes of questions.
I think it's great that you get to practice your speaking skills in front of a large audience so often. I have to get my practice in elsewhere. (I'm a member of a local Toastmasters club.)
ReplyDeleteAnother vote for title D! Love the cheeky and "positive" spin on the frustrating results. Best of luck with your talk.
voting for D! also i'm chiming in that we have the requisite annual departmental talk requirement as well and damn, you're doing some hot science!! i'm just learning about some of those techniques (CD and biacore) and might end up doing some crystallization later in my research. first i have to get going on some EMSAs :)
ReplyDeleteD!
ReplyDeleteI think the yearly talk idea is great. it seems to be more common in bio-y programs, but I really, really wish my department at LargeU had students do them instead of all the other useless hoops. Good luck!
Hmm, I think a suggestion made by my best friend may be in the lead.
ReplyDeleteA tribute to Paul Simon...
Fifty Ways to Leave Your Buffer
Subtitle: A Treatise in Unwanted Precipitation
Ha, I'm voting for D. That literally made me giggle (hard to do at 1am).
ReplyDeleteI have to vote for either D or the Paul Simon tribute.
ReplyDeleteIn my program, we present our data only at our defense. However, we do a department-wide, hour-long,formal journal club presentation once a year.
Hi there! I vote for (d).
ReplyDeleteIn my university, graduate students have to give seminars (30 min talks about their research projects in front of the whole department (students and faculty) like every 3 months. My research is also different from everybody else's because I'm the first student in the department EVER to do electrophysiology studies. And it's true, in my first presentation I had to stop for I while and give the audience an introduction about what electrophysiology is and explain the basic principles and techniques (also with pictures and cartoons) so that they can understand the rest of the talk (and future talks). But because I'm kind of shy (unlike you) I’ve always wondered whether being different (= I have a lot to explain to ppl) is something good or bad.
Good luck in your presentation!
I vote for D too.
ReplyDeleteMy master's project was in a biochem/biophysics lab where I did a lot of CD and NMR work, and your project makes me remember those fun times. I was the first grad student of a brand-new and very cool Asst Prof who had just come from his last postdoc to a faculty position, and working for him was extremely awesome. It took a long time for me to get over leaving that lab, which I did to move to New Zealand and be with Kiwiman, and that took me into proteomics instead of structure for my PhD...
I only had to present to my department during my second year (out of our typically-four year program), and we don't have committees as such here, so the amount of influence external people had on my project was not as great as it should have been. The system at your department does sound better in that respect, and you're very lucky to not let nerves etc bother you.
GOOD LUCK!
I vote for D. Who doesn't like ambivalent proteins. Protein Y is really just confused about his structure!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the cartoon! Good luck on your talk!
So, I wound up titling my talk:
ReplyDeleteProtein Y Isn't Disordered, It's Just Structurally Ambivalent!
My PI actually snorted when he saw the title. He liked it so much, he told me it's what I have to title my next review article.
Both talk and committee meeting went quite well.
Another vote for D, though I see that you chose another option. Glad to hear everything went well. I am extremely jealous of people who are confortable giving talks. I can work myself up just thinking of giving a talk.
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to put in a vote for D.
ReplyDeleteWe have to give annual departmental talks. Mine's in May. I have no data, and I probably won't have any in 3 months either. gah!
oops, and now I see that you already gave the talk. I'm glad it went well!
ReplyDeletehahahahaha I love the cartoon! For the record I would have voted for D as well, what a great title :) Glad to hear it went well. We also have the yearly whole institute seminar, but we only get 15 minutes!
ReplyDelete