Thursday, April 23, 2009

Delightful Day in D.C.

I absolutely love living in D.C. (if it weren’t for Husband moving away for residency, I’d be content to stay here permanently!), but after living here for almost 8 full years I’ve discovered that I’ve just started to take everything for granted.  Whereas we once used to seize every opportunity possible to enjoy all that the city has to offer, over the past two or three years, Husband and I have just been so overworked and exhausted that if we happen to have a free weekend, we either spend it running errands, having a low-key night in with friends (or once in a rare while a not-so-low key night out, with appropriate recovery time the next day), or the most likely scenario – we each sit on our respectable couches, and he relaxes with his Playstation and I do some data analysis from home and then catch up on reading blogs and do a little knitting.  That’s not to say that we don’t get out at all – over the past several months, we’ve made it to the new location of the Newseum and to the Portrait Gallery, but if we are able to have a day off, chances are that we don’t do anything with it at all.

So, I was thrilled when the absolutely delightful Preppy Chemist, Ph.D. moved on up to D.C. and I had the opportunity to take her around on the standard monument tour two weekends ago – a reason to head out on what turned out to be a beautiful afternoon (once we waited for the rain to pass), visit some old sites I used to frequent back when I was in undergrad, and even catch the tail end of the cherry blossoms, which I would have otherwise missed in my typical “I live in D.C., I can see them any year” attitude.  We took the typical tourist route: Vietnam War Memorial –> Korean War Memorial –> Lincoln Monument –> Tidal Basin –> Bench where Husband Proposed (what do you mean that’s not a standard tourist location? it is most certainly a Very Important Spot!) –> FDR Memorial –> Jefferson Monument –> Washington Monument –> White House and back to where we started.

We had a lovely time, and I am looking forward to more adventures with Preppy Chemist (perhaps the zoo on another nice day)?  And of course, should any of you other blogfriends happen to make it to the D.C. area, certainly come give a knock on my digital door beforehand – showing people around reminds me of how much I love this place!

IMG_1393[7]wtmk

IMG_1400[5]wtmk

DSCI2707_thumb[3]wtmk

IMG_1435[5]wtmk

IMG_1437[8]wtmk

IMG_1452[5]wtmk

IMG_1453[5]wtmk

IMG_1493[5]wtmk

17 comments:

  1. I never see the major places in Boston until friends come to visit - in fact, I had never walked the Freedom Trail until my brother came to visit me.

    You have inspired me - I really want to go see a couple museums I haven't been to yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Outlier - I was going to say that I am likely attending a conference in Boston in the fall and I could give you an excuse to show someone else around... but what with that whole GRADUATION thing coming up, you may very well be gone by then! Graduating.. and I thought it was just a myth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous! I have never been to DC, although I was in Baltimore last year and had the chance to go...and for some reason I thought a conference was more important :P

    I think that happens to everyone once they live in a city for a while. That's why it's nice to get visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some gorgeous pictures you got and such a lovely day too. I only had the opportunity to visit DC once in my youth and I just remember all the constant rain, though it did make the monuments and the like a lot less crowded.

    I keep saying that I should take my husband to various places in our state just because how cool they are, but we've never gone. We're just natural homebodies and sometimes it's heard to break out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lived in Baltimore for 2 years and never made it down to DC. We always thought we'd have time....

    The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. Dr. Man and I never see the area where we live, either. It's the usual "we live here" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. CH - But don't you know that the point of a conference is the sightseeing? Or is it just my lab that picks conferences that way? (Seriously, requirements for my lab to attend conferences are based on proximity to either skiing or scuba diving.)

    Blablover - It is a hard to get out of that homebody pattern. Husband and I were raised VERY different; my family loved to do things on weekends, whereas my husband's mother worked from home on weekends, so he was raised in front of the TV. It still carries over today - when we visit my MIL, we just sit on the couch and watch TV all weekend with her. When we visit my parents, we go to sporting events, play croquet, go golfing, go on picnics, go to museums, go for weekend trips, etc. While I appreciate staying home as I work more, I am also slowly trying to help Husband appreciate exploring more too -- when we have children someday, I don't want them to be raised by TV and videogames!

    Psych Post Doc - So sad that you never made it down to DC! Even without a car, I've probably made it up to Baltimore 10 or so times since I've been living in D.C. (but then again, I am a huge sucker for the aquarium).

    Amanda - You should take a day off and go wander around your area - it's a rather nice break when nothing you do in the lab works anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am staying after Master's graduation for a PhD, so fear not - if you are coming to Boston, I will be here! And happy to take an afternoon to show you around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, Julie, your photos are spectacular. I have never been to DC, and barely even to the east coast at all (one trip to Jersey to see my uncle's family doesn't really count). I am missing out on New York, Boston, and DC. I should find some conferences in the area - let me know if you hear of anything about smell or taste or food research. :)

    Does living in DC make you feel patriotic, what with all those governmental gears churning around you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Outlier - I will definitely let you know if I wind up going to the conference!

    Kelly - Thanks for the photo compliment! Hopefully you will get to make it around the east coast someday! I feel so lucky to have been able to do so much traveling around the U.S. -- at least both coasts, and much of the southwest -- I've kind of missed the whole middle America, though. I don't really feel patriotic on a day to day basis, but as undergrads, we used to walk down to the monuments in the middle of the night and lay down on the floor of the Lincoln Memorial and take turns reading from the Emancipation Proclamation that is engraved into the marble in the monument, and it was incredibly moving (and probably explains why I am the only one of that group that is NOT a lawyer). And of course, being able to walk to attend the inauguration festivities makes anyone feel patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. EB, what gorgeous pictures! Love the tree blossoms.

    I've actually found that one of the things about this nomadic life is that it is easier for me NOT to take things for granted in my locale, because I know it's all temporary. I live in a fine place now and try to enjoy it, but really spend most of my days wishing I was back in my grad school state!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful pictures! I miss living in DC... would love to meet up with you next time I come into town (not sure when that is, but I will be there sometime!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did most of my sightseeing when family/friends came to visit when I lived in DC. There are still some places I never made it to in six years of living there, but would like to go back and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the birthday wishes! I didn't get to do anything to exciting to celebrate because it was right before finals {I love being married to a med student! There's just so many perks...}, but we still had a great time! Do you have anything fun planned for your golden birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll take you up on that sometime soon! i haven't done any of the toursisty stuff since my 8th grade class strip. And any time you want to see those fishies- let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Candid Engineer - As nice as it is not having to pack up and move, I am envious of the nomadic lifestyle. I'm already bummed out that my husband only wants to live in Philly for the rest of his life. I don't particularly like Philly, and knowing that I only have one place to live seems kind of, well... boring.

    Julie - Definitely let me know! I don't think I realized that you formerly lived in DC. :)

    Mary - I also don't think I knew that you used to live here. Apparently, this was the place to be!

    Jennifer - No plans. Husband's orientation for residency was extended by a day, so he likely won't be able to come out and celebrate, so I'll just be in lab all day.

    Albatross - Yes, you should come visit! And I LOVE the aquarium (nerd alert: one of my bachelorette party weekends was a totally old fashioned girls' sleepover IN the aquarium for a night; the other was a classic night of drinking and debauchery in an attempt to redeem ourselves) so I will absolutely come visit you and the aquarium!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spending the night in the aquarium sounds like a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete