Thursday, March 20, 2008

Match Day

The next person to ask me some variation of the following three questions will find themselves with my 3" pointy stiletto heel of my Kenneth Cole New York pumps implanted in their skull:

1) Wow, you guys are going to be living several hours apart for several years. Don't you have any concept of how hard that will be?
2) Why isn't he staying in DC? If he really loved you, he would have stayed where you are. Are you sure you should be getting married?
3) What do you mean you're not dropping out of graduate school to move with him? A good wife would put her husband first and move with him.


In case you were wondering, my answers to the above questions:
1) Really? Seriously? I had NO IDEA. I thought it was going to be fantastic! I thought having a husband live in a different geographical region from me was going to be SO amazing that all my friends would be jealous and decide to live apart from their significant others! NO SHIT I'M AWARE THAT IT'S GOING TO BE HARD, YOU MORON. But thanks for reminding me and making sure I can't temporarily stick it in the back of my head and try to be happy that he matched at a program he really liked.
2) Or, maybe rather than not loving me enough, he just wasn't competitive enough. Maybe his board scores weren't good enough, and that Pass in surgery wasn't good enough, and his letters of recommendation weren't strong enough. Maybe if he had picked a less competitive field than radiology, he would have been able to stay here. But he was only offered one interview in radiology in the area and when he met with the program director, she encouraged him to rank other schools higher in his list. Which is why he did. Which is why he matched at his top choice, which would not be here. Or, maybe you're right and he totally doesn't love me enough. That could absolutely be it too.
3) No comment, just a middle finger extension.

9 comments:

  1. I hear you. Dr R is in the UK and I am in Canada right now and the number of dumb ass questions like 'how are you coping' is unreal. yeah, its difficult but it is also my/your choice and you do what you have to do and you make it work.
    It will take effort but there is no reason on this earth why you cannot make it all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understand completely. I love when people tell me that Dr. Man just doesn't love me enough or when they ask how I'm coping. How are you supposed to answer that? Great, get me a good divorce lawyer? Geez.

    It's hard but it's completely do-able. And if anything it makes your relationship stronger (all the active effort, etc.).

    Oh, and btw, I think the stiletto may be too traceable.. ice pick instead maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understand completely. I love when people tell me that Dr. Man just doesn't love me enough or when they ask how I'm coping. How are you supposed to answer that? Great, get me a good divorce lawyer? Geez.

    It's hard but it's completely do-able. And if anything it makes your relationship stronger (all the active effort, etc.).

    Oh, and btw, I think the stiletto may be too traceable.. ice pick instead maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. That sucks. We lived apart (PA to NM) last year from Jan to Aug- and got married in May. Wishing you the best in dealing with it all and the wedding...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry! Who are all these morons?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned that when it comes to school and jobs most people just do not understand at all. I'm not engaged, but I'm not suprised at the amount of questions you get about things that you have OBVIOUSLY considered already. I hate when people ask me things like that.

    I'm starting law school in the fall, and people are always asking me questions that make me think "Oh my God, I'm glad i'm not this ignorant." People are usually like, " Why do you want to go to school for 3 more years?? You're twenty three! You're never going to be able to have a child, by the time you graduate and get your career started you're gonna be 30!!" I mean damn, whatever happend to CONGRATS!!! Really, thats all that needs to be said, people seem to have forgotten that recently. Goodluck with your busy upcoming summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding your post about living hours apart for several years.

    In an episode of ER (TV show in Canada) a Dr. and his lawyer wife were at odds with a job opportunity for her in a city 2 hours away from his hospital. Half way through the show a visiting effeciency expert, hearing his problem responded, "What's the problem? Move to xxxx (halfway between both locations) You each have a one hour commute to work but in opposite directions". Don't know if this is applicable, but thought it best to mention it. Good luck

    ReplyDelete