Today's post is brought to you by the letter S.
As in, Shit, Science Seriously Sucks.
I've been doing the time course experiment from hell, and have gotten a whopping total of less than 6 hours of sleep over the past 4 nights, all of which has come through dozing off on the couch in spurts of less than 30 minutes. I haven't seen my bed since Sunday, and I am grumpy, miserable, and have a raging headache because my schedule is so screwed up that I can't take my anti-migraine meds at the appropriate times in my sleep schedule -- wait, what sleep schedule?
Three valuable lessons I have discovered:
1) Calories consumed in the laboratory between the hours of 10pm and 6am don't count. Eating around the clock keeps you awake, but it totally doesn't count against your daily calorie quotia. That entire mega bag of peanut m&ms I ate yesterday morning/last night/whatever the hell day that was? Zero calories!
2) If you don't actually make it into your bed, it doesn't count as a day/night cycle. Society dictates that you should shower once per day/night cycle, but if five days have extended into one, you are not obligated to shower, as you never actually made it into bed. And I managed to shower twice in my very extended single day, so it's like I'm squeaky clean!
3) If, after 3 nights of sleep deprivation and misery, your PI discovers that you have been in the lab since 3am and asks why on earth you would do that because he FORGOT that just 3 days previously he assigned you the time course experiment from hell, it is justifiable homicide.
Last night, while I was walking home from lab at 10:45pm, I passed a big group of first year medical students (or maybe undergrads?) walking down the street in the direction of the bars. This morning at 3:15am while I was walking back to lab, I passed the same group retuning home from their night out.
My life officially sucks .
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When thinking about science I imagine Watson and Crick sitting in that bar in Cambridge drawing molecular structures on napkins, and I pity myself for not being a scientist.
ReplyDeleteReading your blog make me think that maybe science is not "always" glamorous. Anyhow I am sure things will get better soon and you can start working normal hours.
--
Janne
While I admire your dedication, I admit I shook my head at the very idea of suffering so much for my work. I hope you feel better after some sleep and that all your time yields some kick-ass results.
ReplyDeleteI remember timecourses like that. The good news is that they END. It sounds like you have reached the end and regained your sanity already.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some awesome results out of this experiment! Do you know yet whether it worked?
Definitely have not regained my sanity yet. In fact, vomited twice this morning (normal 8am morning, rather than leave-the-apartment 3am morning) and have been even more miserable since!
ReplyDeleteExperiment is running through Monday, so I'll know late Monday night if it worked the way I hope it did...
Yuck...I know all about those timecourse experiments. Hang in there, and I hope you get beautiful data out of all this misery.
ReplyDeleteUgh, hope you're feeling better.
ReplyDeleteThose darn undergrads!