But first, you get to listen to my rant. This morning, once again, I returned to the lab at 4:30am to repeat my protein dialysis, and spent the day doing CD. Seeing as how I am no CD expert by any stretch, and really had crap training, I mostly fiddle my way through trying to improve my spectra with really low concentrations of protein (the pain-in-the-ass protein cannot be concentrated any further without precipitating). In fact, the training I received was so bad that the answer to my question regarding what the various settings for scanning speed, response, etc. were was simply "don't change them", when in fact changing these settings is precisely how you improve the look of a bad spectrum. However, since I'm no expert, I'm not great at predicting how the raw data will look once the buffer is subtracted and everything is analyzed. So, I played around with everything, picked the settings I thought would be the best, and settled down for eight hours of CD with my small molecule.
Of course, as it turns out, once I came back to analyze all the data, it looks like I picked incorrectly. Another setting with a different bandwidth gave me a much better looking spectrum. Groan. Fine. It may have been 7pm, but if I went ahead and dialyzed more protein (roughly 8 hours of buffer changes), I would just stay overnight and do more CD. I stay overnight every other week anyway, so why should this week be any different? All I needed to do was change the nitrogen tank, because for some reason, the lab that maintains the CD machine continues to insist that I use compressed nitrogen gas, rather than liquid nitrogen, meaning that I run out of nitrogen ALL.THE.TIME. But, as luck would have it, one of the nitrogen tanks I ordered actually happened to be IN the same lab as the spectropolimiter, so I thought it would be a piece of cake.
45 minutes later, drenched in sweat, with aching arms, peeling skin on my hands, cursing in frustration, I finally had to give up. Whoever put the pressure gauge on this tank must resemble Hulk Hogan, because I have never encountered a gauge screwed on so tight. One of the post-docs and I absolutely, positively could not, no way, no how, with all of our body weight combined, get the wrench to budget a millimeter. And thus, I am here, at 12:45am, dialyzing my proteins, and I can't even change the damn nitrogen tanks, because apparently I missed the memo that bodybuilding is a prerequisite for a Ph.D. in science. I hate my life.
And now, the recipe. Make this ASAP. You won't regret it.
Chocolate Chip Pudding Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin (I make my own puree from gutting pupmkins and freeze it, but you can use canned pumpkin as well)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla pudding
- 4 egg whites
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans. (Note: I always make 1 large and 4 mini loaves -- just remember the mini-loaves need significantly less baking time. It's wise to set 2 timers, because if you're like me, you'll be so into your data analysis that you'll forget, and the first batch of mini loaves will come out a bit... crispier than desired.)
- Combine the sugar, pumpkin, oil, pudding, and egg whites in a large bowl, and stir well with a whisk. (If you like pumpkin, this is an excellent point for tasting.)
- Combine flour cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl, stirring well.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, stirring until just moist. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pans on wire rack and remove from pans. Cool complete on wire rack.
Julie, thanks so much. If Kim and I didn't have to go to a wedding this weekend, I'd be in the kitchen right now trying this out. Something about chocolate chip, pudding, and pumpkin just sounds amazing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recipe! Just wondering - is there something magic about the pudding, or could I substitute vanilla yogurt if I have that in the fridge?
ReplyDeleteYUM. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
ReplyDeleteWhen you make your own pumpkin puree, do you cook/roast the pumpkin first? I've tried this a few times while making pumpkin pies since I can't find canned pumpkin in New Zealand, but it's a mission. Most of the sites I've read suggest roasting the pumpkin first, then mashing or food-processoring it into a puree. What do you do, exactly?
Thanks again!
Chris - You're quite welcome. I hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteAimster - I've never tried it with vanilla yogurt, but it should work. I'd definitely go with vanilla over plain for the sweetness, but the pudding is key for moisture, so the yogurt should be a good substitute, should you not have pudding available.
Kelly - No canned pumpkin? Tragic! I always prefer fresh, but then when you run out in the spring and have a craving for something pumpkin, it's always nice to know that you can buy a can at the supermarket. When I make puree, for starters, I always use smaller pumpkins because you get better tasting puree -- not the big ones that you use for carving jack-o-lanters (or that you would in the U.S., at least). After quartering the pumpkin and scraping out all the seeds and pulp, I roast the pieces in a 350F oven for 45 minutes. Then, peel away the skin with a knife and put all the roasted flesh into a food processor/blender or you can mash it by hand with a potato masher. Pulse until it's totally smooth -- the water content can vary in pumpkins, sometimes they're really wet, sometimes super dry, if on the dry side (as in, can't get it smooth because the pieces are too crumbly), add a few Tbsp of water. If they're really moist and it looks more like a soup mixture than a very thick puree, you can strain the water out over a cheesecloth, though I've personally never had this happen to me since you generally roast out most of the water content. That's it! Then, add the mixture into ziplock freezer bags and store for up to a year. It's really not too complicated -- just roast, peel, pulse, freeze. I make up big batches at a time, since I love pumpkin and use it in loads of recipes -- pumpkin pie, pumpkin brownies, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, and of course, chocolate chip pumpkin bread!
Wow, you experienced one of my "irrational fears"....as my coworkers used to call all my many, many worries. I always made sure I would have tanks switched out before the building emptied (so by, like, 7 pm) because I was so afraid of not being able to get the regulator off.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry that that actually happened to you.
Unbalanced Reaction -- It turns out it wouldn't have mattered. Friday morning, it was like the sword in the stone. I had EVERYBODY I could find try to get the regulator off -- nobody could budge it. As it turns out, when the compressed gas delivery man made the tank delivery, he actually was the one who put the regulator on the new tank. He (a) has a superduper fancy wrench, and (b) also has superduper huge muscles. Nobody, not even one of my actual bodybuilding resembling, heavy duty weightlifting, lab techs could get the regulator off, even by beating the wrench with a hammer. I had to actually CALL the gas delivery company and request that the delivery man return and get the regulator off. He stopped back, whipped out the super duper fancy tool, and popped it off in 10 seconds, while about 15 of us stood around with our mouths open in awe.
ReplyDeleteIt meant that I couldn't finish my experiment, because it swapped out too late in the day and I had to leave town for family obligations... but at least it made me feel better about being a girly wimp, since nobody else stood a chance at getting it off, either!
I had to tag you, I had no choice. Please forgive me!
ReplyDeletehttp://chemicalbilology.blogspot.com/2008/10/razzafracking-comrade-physioprof.html