As you may have noticed if you've clicked over at some point in the past day or two, I've been trying to roll out a new blog design. I've been working on it during my overnights in the lab (what, you thought I was reading articles at 3am?) and it looked great in my test blog, but apparently it doesn't want to cooperate in my actual blog and is still pulling some formatting from my previous layout and I can't figure out how to get rid of it (CSS, I hate you). I just "upgraded" to the new CSS-required widget-thingie Blogger updated layout, from my previous safe-zone of HTML coding, so if anyone is a CSS whiz and can offer up their $0.02, it would be much appreciated, because I'm sick of looking at it (if it looks perfect in the test blog, then when I copy it here, it should look the same... right?!?!).
Let me know how everything else looks from your browser -- in a disgruntled fit one day, I completely uninstalled Internet Explorer from my computer, so I can only check things out in Firefox, so I have a sneaking suspicion IE is going to screw me over here... (also, if you think it stinks, feel free to tell be to bring back the old layout). I've also joined Twitter and put the link in the sidebar, so if you Twitter too, add me!
Also, I've decided to broaden my posting horizons. My life has become so one-dimensional with all graduate school, all the time, so even if I don't have time to do anything else... it's time to occasionally write about something else. Back after my wedding, several people asked if I would be willing to post more pictures. I kind of let them slide to the back burner, because I didn't really want to think about anything wedding related, and was absorbed by my research, but now I need to think about something other than research, and another request has come up again... so expect to see some wedding pictures. Also, Kim is starting a recipe exchange, and since Husband suckered me into cooking for him every night a year into our relationship, I'm a regular slave to the stove now. No, it's not science related, per se... but all scientists have to eat, right?
But, don't worry. I'm sure there will still be an overload of whiny, grumbly, ranty posts for the next several years regarding my lack of laboratory progress.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Looks great. I hardly believe you are a CSS n00b. ;)
ReplyDeleteMy blog may not show it, but I kind of enjoy making webpages. I like the W3C references for html and css. There are a series of tutorials w3schools.com, and searchable detailed descriptions of every web command you ever though you'd never need: w3.org. The latter can be a bit like scratching your eyeballs out though, so I don't recommend it for 3am lab entertainment. I have to admit in the end I usually just google what I'm trying to do and use something in the first three hits.
I say, bring on the recipes! Cooking is totally science (like chemistry, but tastier). I always mean to post about food, but by the time it's done and staring me down with all it's deliciousness, I can't be bothered to take a picture before eating, and after eating I'm too stuffed and happy to blog it! :P
I like the new blog layout! It's very nice. I think that posting about other things is a great idea. Cooking is great and, if simple enough, I can copy. Yay for variety!
ReplyDeleteBy the way that would be f**king awesome if you could elute the protein directly and eliminate the dialysis steps.
I use Firefox too, and I haven't noticed any weird flukes in your new template.
ReplyDeletePhysics*Chick, I had to google n00b, if that indicates how out of the loop and new I am, ha! Thanks for the link to the tutorials -- I will definitely check them out. I also just kind of googled what I needed, and then mostly just made edits and previewed to see if it did what I needed it to do. Though now I am really frustrated that I absolutely cannot change the font and sizing/spacing of the blogroll, because it has apparently carried over the formatting from my previous blog template.. which I don't understand.
ReplyDeleteAmanda -- I'll start easy with the recipes. As much as I do love cooking multi-course meals for lots of people, my schedule doesn't really allow it, and especially right now with Husband on night shift, I have to have dinner on the table by 6 every night (though PI is currently out of the country, which means I can leave lab early, yay!, because otherwise I would never make it home by 6).
Also, I am SO EXCITED about possibly not having to do dialysis, because ever since I had to switch buffers, the dialysis has been constantly screwed up -- either the protein precipitates, or the imidazole doesn't elute out even after 12 hours and I get a big imidazole peak in the CD and it blocks what I'm looking for, etc. I was pouring over one of the PIs lab notebooks trying to figure out how he prepped the protein for someone else to do CD for a paper ages ago, and discovered that he actually eluted in a non-imidazole buffer. When I asked him about it, he had totally forgotten that it could be eluted in EDTA instead. I feel like I've wasted about 200 hours of my life!
Hm, I'm an Internet Explorer user. The only thing "off" is that your drawing of yourself is cut in half on IE. :( But I love the new layout.
ReplyDeletePlease tell me how to get a Twitter sidebar :) & I can't wait to see more posts, especially wedding pictures!
Oh no! I'm cut in half -- I'll have to try to remedy that. This will be a challenge, since I don't have IE. I'll have to break out Hubby's computer while he's at work.
ReplyDeleteThe Twitter badges in the sidebar can be found at http://twitter.com/badges and automatically format for whatever layout you have on your blog.
Wedding photos and recipe exchanges? Oh my! I am beginning to love this lab burnout thing you have going on.
ReplyDeleteI'm using Firefox and it looks great to me! Love the update. I'm excited for recipes and pictures as well...
ReplyDeleteI'm using Safari (yeah, yeah, I know...), and I love it! (your layout, I mean!)
ReplyDelete