Saturday, November 08, 2008

Mexican Lasagna

This is one of Husband's favorite dinners... and I'm happy to go along with it, because it's quick, easy, and since I use the Morningstar Farms burger soy crumbles faux ground beef, it's meat free, so I don't have to cook any meat on the side (who would have thought that "favorite' and "meat free" would go together coming from Husband?). The original recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for ground chicken breast, and states that it is available in the "packaged meats case". I, personally, have never heard of ground chicken breast (aside from when I boil chicken breast and grind them up myself in my food processor when I make Husband buffalo chicken dip when we have people over for football watching), but then again, I am kind of out of the meat-purchasing loop, so perhaps it is more common than I think. If you can't find it, you could easily substitute in ground beef, since that's what the soy crumbles are generally used as a substitute for, or ground turkey... basically, any ground meat or meat substitute works for this recipe. You could also add in any other vegetables lying around -- I've thrown in a pepper, some mushrooms (not that this crowd seems to like them), etc.

Mexican Lasagna
Recipe altered from Rachael Ray

IMG_2763wtmk

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1lb ground beef/chicken/turkey or meat substitute
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
  • 1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained
  • 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
  • 4 (12 inch) tortilla wraps
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar or pepper jack cheese (or combination)
  • toppings of choice (scallions, salsa, sour cream, hot peppers, guacamole, etc)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
  2. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and add meat or meat substitute and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Brown the meat, about 5 minutes. Add the stewed tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Stir to combine, and heat for 2-3 minutes.
  3. If you have a round, 10-12" baking dish, coat the bottom with a little olive oil or cooking spray. Otherwise, use a shallow rectangular dish (like for a regular lasagna). I happen to have a perfect round dish that fits the tortillas perfectly, so I'm going to show you that method. If you don't have a round dish, cut the tortillas into quarters and overlap them to layer, like lasagna noodles. Otherwise, proceed as follows.
    Add just a small amount of the meat/bean mixture, and add a tortilla on top. Then pile on roughly 1/3 of the meat/bean mixture, top this with 1/3 of the cheese, and then place a tortilla on top. Repeat with more of the beans, more cheese, and another tortilla, and repeat again. End with a tortilla, and a light sprinkling of cheese on top.
  4. Bake lasagna for 12 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. I'm loving you for these food posts. I'm printing out your recipes (hehe...I originally typed "protocols")for my next visit with N.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't eat that morningstar stuff plain, but when it is in dishes I can't even tell the difference! I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummy! I've never tried a meat substitute but this doesn't sound like a bad way to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks YUMMY! Thanks! :)

    Um, buffalo chicken dip? With ground chicken in it? Now I'm curious about that. Could you share that recipe somewhere in the queue, please? :)

    Keep these posts coming! I'm glad to see you blogging more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks yummy. I think I may make that this week.

    I made your ziti with caramelized onions and mushrooms (but I used asparagus and bleu cheese instead of mushrooms and goat cheese-- the latter is very expensive here). it was a hit! Dr. Man liked it very much and it was fast. I may become better at cooking yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello:

    I am a fairly new blogger, but stumbled upon your blog while I was searching for how to ask people to be on my committee (I think I used some variation of something written in your comments section, which was a hit btw, so thanks!).

    I actually love to cook and all of your recipes seem very good, but last night I actually made your pumpkin chocolate chip bread and it was delicious so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbalanced Reaction -- Recipes, protocols... same thing. We're scientists at heart. I think that's why I do well in the kitchen -- cooking is like chemistry! Glad you are making use of the recipes though.. I'm going to use your comments as justification if Husband ever catches me taking pictures of dinner (he would find it utterly stupid, which is why I have to sneak around with the flash off).

    Jenna and ka1t_lyn -- I personally like it (which makes sense, since I don't eat meat since I don't like the taste), but if it's cooked and seasoned properly, most people agree that they can't tell the difference. Even my husband will willingly eat it, and that's saying a lot! Hope you enjoy this one. :)

    kelly -- I'm not sure when we'll be having the next football gathering, but I will absolutely do a post on our gameday food, buffalo chicken dip included. I'll add it to the line.

    Amanda -- The addition of asparagus sounds divine. It's my absolute favorite vegetable, but Husband refuses to eat it, so I never make it. :( Hence why we eat a lot of mushrooms instead. Glad you liked the recipe with the substitutions, though!!

    Zanzibarfly -- Glad the thesis committee worked out (I just added a new member myself, over a year after I assembled the original committee, but hey, change is always good, right?). The pumpkin chocolate chip bread is always a hit -- it's one of my most requested baked goods from my friends. Last night, I made pumpkin swirl brownies and brought them in to my taste group (aka lab members) this morning and it was well received, so expect to see a post on that coming up sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good... and I love your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so famous!
    http://www.kimberlymichelle.com/2008/11/10/dinner-time-mexican-lasagna/
    If only a PDF were created in my name :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made Mexican Lasagne tonight and both Husband and I loved it! I hope it stores well for leftovers because I want to have it for lunch tomorrow as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good, Jenna! I am glad to hear that you both enjoyed it! And it does store well for leftovers... Husband gets hungry and likes to microwave it for convenience, and prefers it that way... I would rather reheat mine in the oven since I think it makes the tortilla wraps crispier and I like them crispy rather than soggy... but either way, we both eat lots of leftovers from it!

    ReplyDelete