Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

Much more than cooking, I really enjoy baking. However, I don't really have much of a sweet tooth -- I'm more than content with one of something. Husband can easily eat his way through an entire batch of cookies in one day, as he lacks self control, but knowing that fact, he never wants to keep baked goods (or any junk food) in the house. And frankly, even though one cookie is more than satisfying, if they're there... then I'll find myself munching, too. This is why my lab is wonderful. It's like an automatic built-in group of consumers and taste-testers. Not only are they happy to eat whatever I bring them, but they also give me their honest opinions on what I make, because they know that even if they don't like something, I won't be insulted (it's not like I'll stop baking).

This was a new recipe that I tried out and I wasn't quite sure how it would go over. I don't really like chocolate, but I loved the pumpkin flavor (and wished there was less chocolate). Husband loves chocolate and not so much pumpkin, so he wished I had made just straight up chocolate brownies. But the neutral lab test group that likes both chocolate and pumpkin? They deemed the pumpkin swirl brownies a success.

A note on the recipe -- the densities of the chocolate batter and the pumpkin batter are completely different, which makes it difficult to swirl. If I were making these again, I would probably stop and swirl a bit between the first layers and chocolate and pumpkin batter (the recipe calls for layering chocolate/pumpkin/chocolate/pumpkin), and I think I would divide the oil, and add 1/8 cup oil to the chocolate mixture and 1/8 cup oil to the pumpkin mixture, rather than adding it all to the pumpkin. However, I haven't tested this out myself, so try at your own risk. Either way, the taste was fine, and it would really just be to get a bit more 'swirl', which isn't a necessity (and, a scientist, I'm used to repeating this dozens and dozens of times until they work perfectly, so I do the same thing in the kitchen).

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
adapted from Martha Stewart
IMG_2781wtmk
Ingredients:
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups pumpkin (I used my own fresh, canned is fine)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; grease lining.
  2. Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until fluffy and well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture until just combined (do not over mix).
  4. Divide batter between two medium bowls (about 2 cups per bowl). Stir chocolate mixture into one bowl. In other bowl, stir in pumpkin, oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  5. Transfer half of chocolate batter to prepared pan smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Top with half of pumpkin batter. Repeat to make one more chocolate layer and one more pumpkin layer. Work quickly so batters don't set.
  6. With a knife, gently swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect.
  7. Bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 20 squares.

6 comments:

  1. Drool. These look fantastic!! Can you believe I haven't had pumpkin ANYTHING yet? Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, up until two weeks ago, I would have not believed you that the combo would be delicious. ...that is of course before I tried the cafeteria's chocolate pumpkin cookies. Where has this combination been my whole life? (no, seriously...who came up with this?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. I was hoping that you'd post this recipe (I think I saw that you were making some on your twitter feed). Pumpkin + Chocolate = Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ka1t_lyn: Hop on it! Pumpkin season doesn't last too much longer!

    U.R.: You never had anything pumpkin and chocolate before that? Not even a chocolate chip pumpkin muffin? You've been deprived your whole life!!

    Amanda: I agree. Though generally when chocolate is more of an accent than half the flavor (I'm not really a big chocolate person myself, so I think I'll stick to my chocolate chip pudding pumpkin bread).

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looks delicious (and pretty)... I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had to say I made these for Thanksgiving and they were SO delicious! Everyone commented on how great they were. Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete