Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Oh, the Irony

Knowing my tendencies for extreme over-organization, it probably doesn't surprise you that I manage our finances down to the penny. MS Money is my best friend (okay, fine, after you two, Mark and Shannon), which is why I have found it extraordinary frustrating that since October XX, strangely the EXACT day that I got a letter in the mail as a [Bank] shareholder regarding its merger with craptastic [Other Bank] , I have been unable to access the "Account Download" feature of my [Bank] account to import the information into Money -- instead, I just receive an error message.

Yes, of course, I can do it by hand (and have done so accordingly). But this takes extra time, leaves me more prone to be off by a penny here or there requiring even more time to go back and check every entry, and my entries lack the "E" mark, stating that they have been electronically cleared (and yes, this bothers me).

As such, yesterday I finally bit the bullet and called [Bank] to find out what's going on. Has the account download service been discontinued at the hand of [Other Bank], or is there just some sort of error that they have been too lazy to repair in a timely fashion? Of course, nobody could answer this over the phone, and I was told to submit a message electronically. Fine, done and done.

This morning, I received an email notification that I had a reply, and I needed to sign into my [Bank] account to read the reply. I signed in, clicked on the "Messages" section... and received the following statement:
The service you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please try again later or call 800-XXX-XXXXX, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for further assistance."
An error message that I cannot access the message regarding the error message I receive in lieu of downloading my account statement. Oh, [Bank], what are you doing to me?

6 comments:

  1. You'd think that after years of dealing with all sorts of machines and software, we'd develop some "machine/software whisperer" skills. If only..

    Anyway, craptastic bank sounds frustrating. I hope you manage to figure it all out soon.

    Btw, I like the new design and layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a huge fan of MS money, probably the only MS program that I can say I loved. My mac didn't come with it so i've been stuck with quicken, which I don't use very often...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recruit my husband to deal with anything that involves resolving issues on the phone with annoying companies. Hopefully you will get to talk to a real person soon that can help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, I have discovered another clue that we could have been separated at birth. I would be breaking out in hives right now if my bank didn't allow me to get a bit OCD about those "E" flags. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

    Which version of Money are you using? I'm still using 2004 Deluxe, as I felt like the 2005-6 versions just packed in a bit too much bloatware for my liking.

    I think you should ring the bank again and ask to speak to someone in technical services - I had to do this once with an old bank when their date format in the OFX file was fubarred and screwing up my system. Once I got the appropriate nerd on the phone who could understand what I was talking about, explaining became a lot easier.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these bank mergers just seem to cause plenty of confusion for customers. Id aggressively pursue this. I know a woman who couldn't access her bank accounts online-- it was because there was another customer from the "merged" bank that had the same username as she did. Someone else was able to access her account. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, are you my long-lost sibling? It warms my nerdy little heart to know someone else is as obsessed with the "E" as I am!

    Don't laugh -- I actually use Money 2001. It came for free with my first laptop (Windows Millennium Edition!) and I've downloaded free trials of the newer versions, but truthfully they haven't had anything so much better that I've felt the need to pay that much money for them when I have everything set up just how I like it.

    ReplyDelete