Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pumpkin Fudge

For Thanksgiving this year, I tried out a pumpkin fudge recipe from Southern Living. After reading the recipe reviews, however, I made quite a few changes to the recipe -- doubled the amount of pumpkin, doubled the amount of spices (and used my own spice mix, rather than 'pumpkin pie spice'), lessened the amount of white chocolate, and used my own homemade marshmallow creme rather than store bought fluff from a jar (which came out quite fantastic, and has the added benefit of containing no preservatives or random chemicals). Now, the one problem with this recipe is the fact that I do not own a candy thermometer, so I had no way of knowing when the mixture reached 234F. I guessed using the 'soft-ball' stage (add a few drops of the mixture to cold water and if it immediately forms soft balls in the cold water, it is appropriately at the correct stage). Mine wound up not quite hot enough and was a bit messy to cut as a result, but from a taste standpoint, received rave reviews and many requests for the recipe.


Pumpkin Fudge
adapted from Southern Living
IMG_2916wtmk
Ingredients:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 2 cups light corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 Tbsp corn syrup
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 9 oz white chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Prepare marshmallow creme. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, 2 cups of corn syrup, and salt; beat with mixer in high speed for 10 minutes or until thick. Add in confectioner's sugar and beat on low speed until blended. Beat in 1 Tbsp vanilla extract until blended. This makes way more vanilla extract than needed for this recipe -- so my advice is to either make a double batch of fudge, or store the excess marshmallow fluff in the freezer (not in the refrigerator -- it will not last like normal jarred marshmallow creme since there are no preservatives).
  2. Stir together the first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 234F or the above described soft-ball stage technique.
  3. Remove pan from heat and cool to lukewarm (not in original recipe instructions, but important to prevent chocolate from seizing). Stir in white chocolate, 1 1/2 cups of previously made marshmallow creme, walnuts, and 1 tsp vanilla extract until well blended.IMG_2909wtmk
  4. Pour into an aluminum foil-lined 8-inch square pan. Let stand 2 hours or until completely cool; cut fudge into small squares.

3 comments:

  1. That looks SOO tasty! You're making me hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tickled pink at the culinary criticism that you have applied and make the recipe " your own"- most people just make it according to the text they are following then complain when it doesn't turn out. I am going to follow your advice except for the marshmallow creme, that I have my own fix for- but I am so pleased to hear you put in more pumpkin puree and mix your own spices- of the hundreds of recipes I have been perusing,yours is the most enlightened- wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete