Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Serious Science vs. Baked Goods

One of the many reasons why my experiences in the lab are rather unique has to do with the gender makeup of my coworkers. Unlike the majority of labs around here, we are almost all female. While the PIs are male, all the post-docs, all the grad students, and all the technicians, save one who will be leaving at the end of the month, are female. This is extraordinarily rare, and I am quite positive that I will never again encounter this situation in the rest of my biochemistry career. There are many labs in the biochemistry department here that are all female, most have a one or two women… but as far as the people in the lab, doing the actual research… to be all female? It’s unheard of in science.

A very common topic of discussion among women scientists is, of course, gender discrimination in the workplace. Working in a female-driven laboratory, this is, of course, something that I do not experience. There is no “old boy’s club”, the male post-docs are not favored over the females, and obviously, our PIs believe that female scientists are every bit as competent in the laboratory as males, or they would not have hired them (clearly, it is not a charity case of “I better hire a female to round out the laboratory). While this obviously is a great thing for the time being, sometimes I wonder if it is going to wind up being an ugly slap in the face when I leave my cozy little gender-neutral laboratory and enter the big male-dominated world of biochemistry.

Case in point, last week Candid Engineer posted an amazing cake she baked. Amongst all the praise and drool, Arlenna left a comment that caught my attention:
“I wish I could bring things like that to work, but as the youngest of only three female faculty members in my department, I don't know how constant offerings of baked goods might affect their pre-tenure unconscious impressions? Maybe good overall but possibly bad 'good woman in an apron'-type feelings...”
I was blown away. As I’ve stated before, I bake for the lab all the time… it’s like my own personal taste group. This is what we, as a lab full of women, do. One of the other post-docs also bakes on a regular basis – between the two of us, there is almost always some sort of baked good for our morning lab meetings. Another post-doc contributes brownies when she is feeling particularly stressed. And it’s not just a female thing – one of the male PIs also brings in homemade baked goods and leaves them sitting in the lab for anyone to munch on. To me, this was just… normal. Not having to contend with thoughts of gender discrimination in my own lab, it never ever crossed my mind that perhaps, outside of my own lab, bringing in baked goods on a regular basis would lower one’s opinion of me as a scientist, because in science, one must be All Science, All the Time, and Susie Homemaker and Susie Scientist cannot coexist.

This week, I have a thesis committee meeting. Back when I was scheduling my first committee meeting, my PI informed me that serving on committees is something that one does not because they have to, but generally because they want to help a student and provide educational insight. It can take up a significant amount of time to serve on multiple committees, and he always appreciates it when food is involved with the meetings. This makes sense – after all, just like graduate students, I’ve seen faculty members elbow their way to the front of the line for free food at seminars. So, for previous committee meetings, I’ve come armed with homemade baked goods. But now this has me wondering… am I giving off the woman-in-apron vibes that Arlenna described? If my presentation sucks, are my committee members going to be thinking that I should have spent more time preparing, and less time baking? Or worse yet, if my presentation is fine, but my science sucks and my homemade baked goods are tasty, will they be thinking that I should get the hell out of the lab, and back into the kitchen where I belong?? Is the best way to a Committee Member’s Good Side through his stomach, as suggested by my PI, and they’ll be too busy noshing to even think about any of this? Should I forgo the homemade baked goods, and pick something up premade, as to appear like I didn’t put too much effort into it? Or would that seem absurd, as both of the PIs from my lab are on my committee and they both know that I bake already?

I’ve already wasted my morning putting enough thought into the Serious Science versus Baked Goods Debate of 2008, so now I turn it over to you while I finish my presentation. Discuss.

15 comments:

  1. If you love to bake, I say bake. It's something you like, and if it were me, I just wouldn't feel right buying something that probably wouldn't be as good. But I've never been in your type of environment, so it's interesting to think about such a dilemma. Good luck figuring it out.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to bake when stressed. That means my lab benefits from the baked goods. I get very stressed around committee meeting time. My committee members benefitted from this with a variety of cookies.

    That being said, we have a senior female faculty member who brings in baked goods to our small journal club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are very lucky to be in the situation that you are, and in my glass half full outlook, I think it is a sign of change that is happening as opposed to an anomaly. You've been in this project long enough to have already demonstrated your science cred. Plus, I've heard many many PI's state that if you can bake you can do science, if you can't - you have no hope in hell. I know PI's who make it a requirement to bring homemade goods - its a test of one's ability to follow a recipe I guess. Either way, do what makes you feel most comfortable for your meeting. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i say bake away!! i left an all female lab with a male PI and two of us always baked. we even baked for committee meetings is we felt like we had time, even though our lab was also an anomaly. i'm currently in a lab that was mostly males, now is even split and run by a female PI. i really lucked into that situation and it's fantastic! they're out there, you can find one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go ahead and bake. I am sure that they will be happier to be fed than judging you because you feed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do what you love to do and bake. I think it is fair to say that committee members recognize that you have interests outside of your graduate work and they aren't going to hold it against you.

    Besides, taking time away from science allows you to be better focused and more creative when you are in the lab? Every person does something that would be considered a waste of time by another, you just have to keep on being who you need to be to make yourself happy.

    You are lucky to be in an all female lab. My PI is female (which is something that I really wanted) but otherwise the rest of my lab is evenly split and it provides a really interesting dynamic. The women in my lab (and most of the time me) are almost always given lab chores to do and are always put in charge of baking or organizing things. Last week we ordered Pizza and another female student was put in charge of that. I am always assigned a baking task (like next week when my lab wants to go to the potluck and someone needs to bring something, someone will volunteer me and everyone else will agree). Last week, I was put on laundry duty even though it is incredibly inconvenient for me. Its sad to say, but these gender differences do exist. I could go on for pages of misogynistic/stereotypical examples but will save your eyes.

    Good luck!

    ~E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know the exact reasoning behind it but I've been told to not bring in homemade baked goods, but something yummy from a bakery so that it seems spontaneous that you thought to bring food, rather than specific buttering up. But this was also advice from a male post-doc, so I don't know. I went for that option the last time but may just bring in my own homemade treats for my upcoming meeting.
    I enjoy the above comment about baking skill being connected to science ability.... I'd believe that! Though I'm so used to measuring eeny weeny amounts for PCR that when I use a tablespoon I feel a little overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny that I hadn't really noticed until now that I've been in 3 labs and ALL of them have been female dominated. I guess that could depend on the field somewhat, but... my current lab is all female (virology/micro) and my previous two labs (developmental bio) were all female up until about 2 years in. Weird!

    Anyway, I love to bake. But I never baked for committee meetings, mostly because I never found the time not because I think it would be inappropriate. I usually stopped at Panera on the way in and would pick up an assortment of bagels and spreads and some coffee. That seemed to keep everyone happy. That said, if you love to bake, and have the time, bake! It may be difficult to come up with one recipe to satisfy all tastes though...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a great idea, I'll consider it for my committee meeting. Since your supervisors know already that you bake, it would seem odd to bring bought stuff, at least to me. And I agree with Zanzibarfly, everyone needs time off to recharge, if baking does that for you, great!

    In my lab, I'm the only female, and the only one to bake. The guys occasionally bring sweets from travels or so. Neither happens very often, not nearly enough for the lab meetings. We should work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I went ahead and baked, and ironically, at the start of my meeting, the first words out of my PI's mouth were not about the progress I had made or anything of that nature, but instead to encourage everyone to try what I made because I am excellent baker. Ha. Oh well, at least everyone seemed to enjoy it.. or they were ravenously hungry (and a compliment is a compliment).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am surprised that you say it's rare to only find an all female lab. It's all I ever encounter anymore.

    In fact I'd say it's down right weird to find a lab that is predominantly male where I work in Vet science and microbiology. The same is true for my Husband who is a food scientist.

    But I can understand a fear of still seeing the Ol boys club when on the tenure track. It is kinda of strange to see only women doing the masters and PHD routes while all the Profs and PIs are male.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no!! I definitely did not want to make somebody doubt their own baking actions. It sounds like your environment is somewhere I never would have been made to feel the way I fear about it.

    My fears are coming from the still-somewhat-present backlash from the past, that women who want to appear powerful need to not look like mom for some reason. But I know in my heart this isn't true, so it's like trying to get over a scar, and hard to gauge in a completely new environment (where I am now) how things will help or hurt me. Insecurity manifests in strange ways! Such as a fear of making lovely cakes and cookies for my colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blablover5, I think it is very dependent on the field in which you work. Vet science may be very female oriented, but biochemistry is still mostly male-based. Most of the labs here are actually ALL male, except for those few with female PIs, which tend to hire more females, and then our freak lab that is soon to be all female, aside from the PIs).

    Arlenna, I'm glad you made the comment though, because I should be paying more attention to gender biases outside my own lab. It is really easy to get a warped sense of security here in my cosy little estrogen-filled lab, and who knows what it will be like when I leave? I mean, the male graduate students bring beer to their committee meetings, apparently! No homemade baked goods from them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never gave a second thought when students brought in food they made. (except YUM!) It's standard practice to bring food to the final defense (it is public). Anything from foods from the homeland to purchased cheese plates.

    One thing I did always find a little...um...ODD.. was when the non-grad student wife (it was never the husband) spent days prepping food for her husband's defense...and the husband announced this!

    Yes, I'm sure most people would find that terribly sweet. All I could think (and I know this is terrible) was "wow, how 1950s!" Perhaps because I knew how neglected the poor wife had been over the past 5+ year. ...and then I would chow down the food, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to bake and thought that It would be appreciated by my male dominated lab. I was right...the men did love the sweets that I brought! However, my female PI treated me differently from then on. She's not a very able hostess or baker (she always pays someone to do it for her) and I guess she must see it as below her, but she never again treated me respectfully as she had before.

    On the other hand, I'm now working in industry, in a male dominated department (I am the only woman) and they appreciate it a lot and treat me like anyone else! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete